Not quite as good as a Senko...

Hippel

But I had to try! I found these weighted off-set worm hooks at Academy and power painted the lead. This is a 2/0 hook with a 1/16th oz. lead belly powder painted purple.

Then there is some purple krystal chenille on the bend and some UV purple krystal flash on the sides. The bunny is two magnum strips about 3 1/2" long each, with the extending hair making it 4" long total. I cut a 1/2" slit in each of the bunny strips so it would slide down easily when a bass ate it.

I used tearmender on the bunny strips at the front and back. It flutters just a little on the fall, and comes through grass and timber really well. The bunny has some really good action coming through the water, and when the strips get wet they're a little heavier and easy to cast.

I'll probably try to make a 5" lure when I go to some water with some bigger bass. This one fooled a nice one right along the bank yesterday afternoon, and a couple others missed it (or I missed the hook set, much more likely!)

Tight Lines,

Heath

blt

That is a great looking lure! I love it. Have to get some bunny strips.

Tearmender? Like a glue?

Hippel

The powder paint is a purple from component systems. I don't remember if I added glitter to it, but I think I did.

And you don't have to powder paint the lead if you don't want to. I've used thicker mylar tubing and covered the lead with it as well. You have to slip it over and tie it in at both ends, or leave some trailing mylar flash extending to the back. And you can color the mylar with permanent marker.

Tear Mender is a fabric and leather adhesive. I think they sell it at Joann's and similar places. It's the thing to use with rabbit strips, because you're gluing the hides together. Normal glue won't work.

Bunny strips are the best materials for jigs in my opinion. Excellent action in the water, lots of colors, two different sizes. Can't beat 'em!

toadfrog

That's a weighted swim bait hook . Pretty cool idea I bet ya can crawl that along some rocky rip rap for a walleye . Yep betcha could .

blt

Hippel said:
The powder paint is a purple from component systems. I don't remember if I added glitter to it, but I think I did.

And you don't have to powder paint the lead if you don't want to. I've used thicker mylar tubing and covered the lead with it as well. You have to slip it over and tie it in at both ends, or leave some trailing mylar flash extending to the back. And you can color the mylar with permanent marker.

Tear Mender is a fabric and leather adhesive. I think they sell it at Joann's and similar places. It's the thing to use with rabbit strips, because you're gluing the hides together. Normal glue won't work.

Bunny strips are the best materials for jigs in my opinion. Excellent action in the water, lots of colors, two different sizes. Can't beat 'em!

Great, and I had just put an order in at Crazys for some stuff. Now I have to go an order wabbit some where.

Pup

I dig it. :cool: More durable than a 3-fish Senko. Though a different style of bait, I still see bass written all over it.

Does the barb of your hook somehow rest between the rabbit strips à la Texas rigging?

Hippel

Pup said:
I dig it. :cool: More durable than a 3-fish Senko. Though a different style of bait, I still see bass written all over it.

Does the barb of your hook somehow rest between the rabbit strips à la Texas rigging?

You can see from the picture that the shape of the hook means the bunny can move down along the vertical portion of the hook shank, but the bend in the hook near the bard doesn't allow the bunny to come undone.

And the lead on the belly of the hook works to keep the hook point up, and the bunny is more buoyant so it stays up against the horizontal side of the hook making it weedless.

When you fish it, the little notch at the front between the eye and the krystal chenille is where you'll collect weeds and moss. But it's not too bad.

Attachments

• BuggsSenkoHook.JPG
    BuggsSenkoHook.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 18

smalljaw

I never thought I'd see a tie done on a weighted hook meant for swimbaits but it works!! I like the fact that you basically made a "hard" worm, a lot of ingenuity in that bait, nicely done!!

Back