Not pouring, but related....

Uncle Grump

Stopped at a country service station to pick up a bottle of Pepsi this morning. As I was about to leave, the owner - Gene, asked me if I was still making "lead weights".

It caught me a bit off guard, but I responded - not in a while, but I need to do some, as my inventory is low....

To which Gene replied - "stop in on Saturday - I've got two 5 gallon pails of wheel weights for you."

My jaw about dropped. The cost? - make him some panfish sized jigs for him and his grand kids....

I can do that.

UG

toadfrog

If he has a spread sheet for purchasing wheel weights it will have what the weight is made of . Make a copy so you can sort them by the no . . There are some weights you do NOT want in your lead pot .

Uncle Grump

toadfrog said:
If he has a spread sheet for purchasing wheel weights it will have what the weight is made of . Make a copy so you can sort them by the no . . There are some weights you do NOT want in your lead pot .

TF

yup - I am aware of the zinc weights being a issue. There was a post on Tackle Underground 2-3 years back about them and what they do to lead - I seem to recall it having a "how to identify zincs" in it to boot.

I'll ask Gene about the id of them....thanks for the spreadsheet tip.

UG

GrouseFly

I have melted so many over the years I can tell by the feel...lol. One of the many reasons I run my first melting outside in the witch's pot. Load the pot with the weights,lead scraps I have accumulated,plumber's lead, you name it,add the home made flue to draw the fumes and the smoke,and kick on the propane and let it do it's thing...strain the clips,junk,dust,and everything else that floats and pour you pretty lead ingots...clean ingots means a HAPPY POT later on...lol..Good Luck...

Back