Not often do I get blown away by where fish are caught but....

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, a good lure remains a good lure, cept when a bite slows I suspect that a lure can become recognizable as non-food fake and avoided. So every night I switch to something different. Haven't used the previously successful 3" pearl white PB Twitchtail Minnow much this year due to the recent inclusion of Lunker City Swimfish in pearl and pro blue colors, but after the starter 2-3/4" pearl Swimfish got torn up and eventually ripped off after 4 wallys & some white bass rebaited with a pearl Twitchtail and got slammed by the big wiper identifiable by massive suck slurps which has been avoiding my presentations Appeared to be the same 16# caught on the first day of the alewife spawn Jun 3 on a 3" pearl PB Ripple Shad.

hookup

Any favorite colors that consistently work ?

Natual

Black/blue

Green pumpkin/red

Keep in mind I chase smallmouth most of the time

But I was just in 110dF weather in the desert. There's a man made pond there that never produces. A 6 year old kid once told me, Mr, you're using the wrong bait. I said OK, then what bait should I use? Hotdogs. Fished it last week. First cast got a cat fish. Couple casts later, a dinner plate sized panfish. In the heat of the desert, even a young'n can teach and old dog new tricks.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Now that's progress - hotdogs, marshmellows, and JiggerJohn's fave canned corn.

My mantra "bait? I don't need no f***ing bait". Yours could be "jigs? I don't need no f***ing jigs".

Sorry, just jealous of your Canadian celebration.

SPOONMINNOW

I draw the line when it comes to what fish supposedly know about lures. The real thing gives off whatever it takes for fish to sense it's an animal. Lures give off nothing close to what the real thing exudes regardless of the imitation. Coincidentally a few lures had movements similar to baitfish interrupted by movements that didn't. In fact, most lures moved unnaturally and still got struck. Five different lures/ different colors for each and I easily caught 69 fish/ 4 species in water with an 80 degree surface temperature.

Fish don't strike lures because they represent live bait, but because they don't! JMHO
Any lure/prey correlation is the product of angler imagination and a reduction of lure variety to say the least.IMG_4351.JPG IMG_4364.JPGIMG_4360.JPGIMG_4366.JPGIMG_4354.JPGIMG_4368.JPGIMG_4365.JPG fin.JPG

Last edited:

sstansb

Hey ya'll I'm just pretty much a probie when it comes to knowledge for jig building. But I do dig around the net watch videos of builders etc and have increased my knowledge not to mention materials tools homemade stuff. With that said I did spend most of my time watching Dan-smalljaw- on youtube, it was pretty much in my wheelhouse capacity, no frills no loud music, just basic how-to stuff and the creativity. Lately smalljaw has not posted for 3 months and i'm concerned about Dan I know he's had some health issues and I respect an individuals privacy --can anyone make a brief comment I've emailed him a couple times but server rejects my address appreciate any comment and thank you for your time. I know I'm in wrong forum subject but like I said still learning.

Back