Not caught on a jig but thought I would share

goodtimesfishing

View attachment 3
View attachment 4
View attachment 5
So today is opening day for lingcod here in the pacific northwest, so I had to head out this morning and get some "fish and chips" for tonight. I didn't catch it on a jig but did catch the sand dab(flounder/sole/flatfish) that I used for live bait. The sand dab was about 8 inches long. We have a limit of 1 ling and it must be between 26 and 36 inches or it has to go back. First one I had on felt much larger then this one, but lost it(it would have had to be released anyways do to it's size). This one was barely legal at 35 inches. I will be having fish and chips for dinner tonight.....lingcod is outstanding deepfried!!! I will hopefully be getting another tomorrow.

Attachments

• may 1st lingcod 2013 007r.jpg
    may 1st lingcod 2013 007r.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 90
  • may 1st lingcod 2013 011r.jpg
    may 1st lingcod 2013 011r.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 90
  • may 1st lingcod 2013 005r.jpg
    may 1st lingcod 2013 005r.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 90

redman

Nice catch hope that you will catch another tomorrow. Cod are good to eat the only way I don't like them is like lutefisk. Sorry Lyed cod is not my cup of tea. But I will join you any day for some fish and chips and bring the malt vinegar to go with it.

Redman

redman

Dog fish or grindle as they are known in my. Part of the country are fresh water cod. Up in northern Minnesota they eat them. Down here we kill them to get them out of the lake. They will slap destroy a bed of bream. I catch a couple every year on jug lines and NO I will not eat one of them ugly toothy spuds.

Redman

Shoemoo

Lingcod aren't really cod. They're a really big greenling, and damn good eating.

Congrats on the nice lingcod. The saltwater fishing is one thing I miss about not living near Puget Sound any more. You can catch them on jigs, though. They attack anything that looks remotely edible, so I bet they'd take a nice big bucktail or other hair jig. I caught quite a few on 1-2 ounce heads and jumbo curlytails off the reef at the Des Moines pier. Too bad I didn't start tying until after I moved to Idaho.

goodtimesfishing

Thanks!

Went out again today and nailed another just like it, barely under the 36 inch length limit. Got it to the top and it wasn't having it...peeled drag all the way back down to 90 feet on the reel counter and was in 95 feet of water! Slowly got it back up to the top and got it in the net. Not easy getting it in the net.....both days I have been fishing solo! Weather has been great, so I guess I better go again tomorrow while the weather is good.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• 5-2 lingcod 002r.jpg
    5-2 lingcod 002r.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 5-2 lingcod 008r.jpg
    5-2 lingcod 008r.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 52

redman

Another nice fish for you!!!! Just a question for you how much meat do you get out of one of those fish? What is the weight of that fish and how many people can you feed off of one that size?

Redman

goodtimesfishing

redman said:
Another nice fish for you!!!! Just a question for you how much meat do you get out of one of those fish? What is the weight of that fish and how many people can you feed off of one that size?

Redman
weighed just under 15 pounds and I do a very clean fillet. but the head weighs quite a bit when your all done. I have an 11 yo and a 2 yo plus my wife and I and we get 4 dinners off one of these fish. We all have good appetites too.

goodtimesfishing

Caught another today. This one was a bit smaller at 30 inches. Redman asked about the amount of meat vs. waste and got me curious. Turns out today when I was done the fillets from the 30 inch lingcod weighed about the same as the bag of waste. However the fillets are solid awesome meat with not a single bone or piece of skin to hassle with when time to eat. I also cut out the cheeks, they are extra taste(I do the same with halibut)Take a look at the pics.Last pic has the cheeks in it.
The fish
View attachment 1The waste
View attachment 2The goods
View attachment 3The cheeks

Attachments

• May 3rd lingcod 2013 002r.jpg
    May 3rd lingcod 2013 002r.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 35
  • May 3rd lingcod 2013 006r.jpg
    May 3rd lingcod 2013 006r.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 35
  • May 3rd lingcod 2013 007r.jpg
    May 3rd lingcod 2013 007r.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 35
  • May 3rd lingcod 2013 010r.jpg
    May 3rd lingcod 2013 010r.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34

smalljaw

redman said:
Dog fish or grindle as they are known in my. Part of the country are fresh water cod. Up in northern Minnesota they eat them. Down here we kill them to get them out of the lake. They will slap destroy a bed of bream. I catch a couple every year on jug lines and NO I will not eat one of them ugly toothy spuds.

Redman

I think you are talking about a different fish Redman, we have grindle here which we call bowfin, lingcod are very different and while we don't kill them we don't eat them either.

goodtimesfishing

smalljaw said:
redman said:

Redman

I think you are talking about a different fish Redman, we have grindle here which we call bowfin, lingcod are very different and while we don't kill them we don't eat them either.

I think redman is just saying that grindle or bowfish are like a fresh water version, as he states he would not eat them either.....but would eat the lingcod(saltwater)
burbot is actually more like a fresh water version and is outstanding from what I have heard(I have not had the chance to try it). They say burbot is poor mans lobster because it taste similar to lobster....if that is the case it must be good in my book. Wish I could get lobster in my backyard like I can the dungeness crab. It will be crab season before I know it....I will be ready.

Back