Nor-vice first thoughts

HairyMooseKnuckles

There's definitely going to be a learning curve. I can see it has both good and bad points. True, winding material is fast and efficient. The hook stays true on its axis and makes putting on thread, chenille, and dubbing almost effortless. Winding dubbing is different. No need for a dubbing loop or wax, However, mastering of winding dubbing on the thread isn't easy.

I tend to be frugal with materials and this auto bobbin tends to waste a little thread. I'm used to winding up unused thread back on the bobbin and the auto bobbin doesn't allow me to do this, or at least I haven't figured out how yet.

Once I get the hang of it, I think it's going to be a keeper.

Here's a picture of it. I took and old wooden TV tray, put some rubber feet on it, drilled a couple mounting holes to mount the vice and bobbin post to.

hookup

Nice write up & nice redneck engineering for a base.

As with most tools I've purchased, I find I get better with practice.Play around with it and I'm sure you can figure out how to conserve the thread. I've also found that the local sewing outlet has thread for cheaper, and bigger spools, that could be an option for you.

joe

Actually a really nice vise and I love the clean lines. Y'know, you don't have to use the auto bobbin with it all the time and may like the ergonomics of other bobbins better. The large saltwater ceramics with extra long tubes are usually my go-to for most jigs for the better reach and grip.

I spent a bit on an adjustable bobbin once and then spent more time looking for all the little pieces that fly off every time I switched threads on it. These days, simple is best and better to have many. Bobbin pic above would be a great micro jig/small fly bobbin due to the skinny non-flared tube.

Your pegboard backdrop is awesome, really solves the "where's the scissors" issue. Might have to incorporate some of that in future design tweaks to eliminate piles in the corners.

There's a good video on the Norvise site about using the bobbin, I just watched it and the fella explains it quite well. It has a clutch that kicks off/on at 14", but I know I would screw it up and end up having to rethread every time I snipped. Old habits die hard and my habits are quite old. Better luck to you there.

davidriley

I was wondering how you are getting on. I expect to see even more masterpieces exhibited on the forum now. Looks great. Enjoy.

David

goodtimesfishing

Just watched a bunch of norms(norvice)videos. I am sure it takes time to make it look as easy as Norm does, but does look like a great design. Who all out there have used the norvise? Pros and cons?? I think I want one!

joe

I've the same type of spring you have for material holding, it's on a Griffin Patriot. Kinda thinking a bigger spring might be nice for both styles of vise and will probably try that, hard to get legs in when it's so close to the vise body.
View attachment 2

Have found a self-adhesive tab of velcro to be a great asset for longer hanks of material, especially when rotating the head. Sandwiching the hank by pressing another (female) tab over the male has served me well, might work nicely for you with the round vise barrel. Gotta be a bit gentle with material when removing from the tab, but very nice for tying the longer stuff. Hate when stuff whips around and tangles, this solves it well.

Definitely going with the pegboards, new house and working out of bins now but when it all gets up there... a fine mess redefined! Thanks for postin' that pic, the idea hit me at the perfect time.

Attachments

• materialgrabs.JPG
    materialgrabs.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 60

Fatman

Nice - a know a bunch of guys on my fly tying boards that have them and it took a while to get all the kinks worked out but once they did it was full speed ahead.

goodtimesfishing

Fatman- that is what I was thinking.....huge learning curve, but in the long run I think it would be a good thing. Norman makes it look so easy.

Kdog

Learning cure is not as bad as you may think. Just work on the techniques you need at the moment

duffy

I watched some of his videos and that looks like a nice piece of machinery! He makes it look like you could tie twice as fast as with a regular vice. For me I could make twice the mistakes twice as fast.:)

Back