nickel guppy heads

bombora

Jim sent me some 1/32nd nickel guppy heads. Tied some up for a trip back to the wild river.
View attachment 7
The three on the right are simple rabbit tails. The two on the left rabbit zonker tails. And the olive and white at top left is a double zonker and painted thread body.
First double zonker I've tied. I think they will be excellent for imtating the very slim saltwater baitfish we have here.
Don't have any tan rabbit so made a cup of tea and soaked some fur in it for the belly of the dark brown backed one on the right. Like the subtle tea colour. It was English Breakfast tea, by the way;).
But in the mean time, they fooled some trout.
A super chunky 18 inch hook jawed jack rainbow which went absolutely ballistic:
View attachment 8
And a beautiful little 13 inch wild brown:
View attachment 9
Thanks for the heads Jim. Will knock out a report in the fishing success section.

Attachments

• bestnickelheads.JPG
    bestnickelheads.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 115
  • buckbowclose.JPG
    buckbowclose.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 114
  • brownupclose.JPG
    brownupclose.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 114

bombora

Hiya Scott, sorry didn't see your reply, was writing up a report (more pics there now). Hey the above pic is the rainbow's uglier side, he definately had a better side! His head on the side he got hooked on was pretty battered, maybe he got bashed in the 30 foot high floods which ramaged down the gorge a few weeks ago.
His much more handsome side, and it shows his awesome (to me anyway) hooked jaw:
View attachment 7
Also shows how solid the fish in the wild river are.
Very happy cause the first fish I ever caugh on the river was a hook jawed male, but I accidently deleted the pic.
Every fish since had been females, and I think I am trout-gay:blush:, male trout just look way better I reckon! Hmmm, can ya say that?

Attachments

• hookjawbow.JPG
    hookjawbow.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 91

Jig Man

Yep, male of the species always look better... Gotta impress the girls you know. Beautiful colors and great jigs, thanks for the report

JUNGLEJIM1

Great idea on dyeing the bunny with tea. Does it stay soft ? I've dyed bunny before and the skin gets really hard. Now I use sharpies.Really nice ties and congrats on your catch. Lot's of walking for those but the memories last forever.

Squeakyboatcaptain

I love those Jigs!! they are truly unique!! Some beautiful trout to go along with them...... it has been a long time since I have felt the tug of a nice trout on my line. Going to have to look for the nearest trout escape.
Great jigs and sounds like a great day!!! Congrats!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Olive/White look amazing on those bright heads - really makes all your colors pop! :icon14: That Olive fur color matches the dorsal color of the trout nearly perfect. Beautiful detail on the jigs. :jig:

bombora

Thanks guys.
Hey Jim yep the tea did make the hide rock hard, but on these little jigs I just cut off the fur and tie. Colour has stayed good. The Sharpie stripes though I find need re-doing after a session.
And you said these lovely little heads had old school hooks on them, so got out the hook file to touch them up. Which got me thinking, wonder if there are younger fishos (the chem-sharp generation) out there who've never sharpened a hook, probably don't have a file? Thanks again for these little fellas, love em, and might be back at the river for one last cast before season closes. Hope so.
Squeaky your little minnow heads would go off on trout (ha, expert trout fisher now. Not!).
Really like the action of the double zonker, really snakey, love to see some double zonkers on yours!
Attica reckon olive and white is awesome in fresh and salt. Hadn't even thought of the similarities with the trout's back. Too true.
I got a real buzz after getting the hook jawed jack, thinking I was standing beside a wild Oz river with a jig made with a head crafted a long way away physically, but not emtionally. Does that make sense?

Lost Pole

A lot of work goes into those purty jigs. And it looks like it pays off!
Would like to catch one of them purty
fish one day. Only trout we have are speckled trout.
Great work, b.

bombora

Lost Pole I've seen pics of speckled trout _ they are really great looking fish!

Back