Newbie From KA

MtnFisher

Looking to learn from here and hopefully catch some larger trout!

Based in Kalifornia!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the site from NW Ohio! Quite a few people on here target trout so you should be in good company and find some tricks to take with you. I do have steelhead available a little ways North and East of me that run the Lake Erie tributaries in the colder months but seems i am always chasing other species or out on the ice that time of year.

Kdog

Welcome from SW Ohio... there are a number of trout fishermen on this forum and Ive seen some interesting work. Ive also made a number of crappie jigs that a couple guys in Tennessee say catch a lot of trout

Hawnjigs

KISS
My successful jigs / methods are posted but haven't tried the new micro wacky jig method for trout.

Scrubs48 and JiggerJohn are spermentin with the concept, maybe they'll holler.

MtnFisher

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been lurking for awhile somewhat and perusing past threads.

I started fishing again the last few yrs and have upgraded alot of my gear, even bought a yak. I started out throwing tube jigs with great success and last winter tied up a few maribou jigs and had pretty good success.

Now I want to tie some bunny zonker type jigs in 1/16oz, maybe 1/8 oz and will be ordering rabbit strips later this month. I already started dipping jig heads in Pro Tec so that part is covered.

I have some other projects going and plan to serious fish this fall so I figure I will amass needed materials and tie some jig patterns in the mean time.
d6e198eb431272abccdca003bc3ea190.jpg
d0c35442405184b7a7381f1adf2e7d01.jpg
66cf6afeec7dbab2a71b0ebd83bdb93e.jpg
ca1cbfc73a2540205e8ef654880f3a3f.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sickle hooks developed a steady following starting with crappie jiggers but after numerous multi-species bendouts I quit using them.  For trout, I would suggest you get one or both of these molds and upgrade to stronger hooks.
https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Steelhead-Jig-Molds-P336.aspx

In my experience and probably yours,  target trout get bigger as opportunity upgrades, and the Mustad 32833 2x hooks have never failed.  Eventually, you will probably upsize to steelhead or Lahontans which will definitely be better served with heavy wire hooks.
https://www.barlowstackle.com/Mustad-Jig-HooksbrStyle-32833NP-BN-P394.aspx

hookup

Welcome from the DC area

Nice trout

What part of CA you from and you fish?

I lived in Huntington Beach area and fished allot of salt. Use to hike the High Sierra's on the east side for trout. Mostly threw small flies with a long leader and bopper, cast masters or inlines. Did well

MtnFisher

I live in the central part of the San Joaquin Valley, kinda central to everywhere, Sierras, rivers and delta. Sac river is about 2hrs away.

Hawnjigs,

Thanks, I was thinking the same on hooks. I do have some steelhead jigheads made off Mustad 32833 hooks I purchased from Nimrod tackle awhile back. I'll be sure to tie up some Zonkers with these.

In a couple weeks I plan to order some bunny fur, both crosscut and 1/8 strips. Any suggestions for vendors who sell bunny strips?

hookup

Any suggestions for vendors who sell bunny strips?

I have bought from 1/2 dozen and they are all hit and miss on the density of the fur

It's a hobby for me, so do not buy bulk - may have better luck there

If you have a local BPS, try them out

Hawnjigs

KISS
I prefer wider than 1/8" crosscut strips, due to lack of availability cut my own from hides. Been lucky on eBay getting decent quality and price rabbit & mink.

Indeed, Zonkers are hit or miss quality mail ordering, better to hands on inspect in a retail outlet.

Back