New zonker strip cuts to attempt a dye test

Fatman

Cut these white and black arctic fox cross cuts, and white rabbit cross cuts.  I'm going to try and dye the tips of the white chartreuse but have to hit the dollar store to find the right aluminum pan - we'll see what happens!! LOL  
100_7571.jpg

100_7568.jpg

100_7572.jpg

Pup

I am so tempted to try cutting and dying sometime. I'm a bit of a stain-fearing chicken. Maybe I'll start off with Kool-Aid.

Nice cuts FM. :icon14: :icon14:

Fatman

Jig man - Don't know if I want to mess with the dark ones plus I don't have white dye and don't want to mess with a bleach mix.

Pup - I hear ya on staining!! And even with Kool-Aid once you put the vinegar in to set the color you still have to be careful. I use an old cookie sheet lined with 3 layers of newspaper and paper towel on top of it and I'm right next to the sink!! When I did the dye job on the fox tail with the kingfisher blue, I poured the hot water in mixed it up good had put the tail piece in and I heard a crack, it was leaking slow so I grabbed another jar and slowly poured what was left into the new jar and the newspaper went into a heavy bag- NOTHING STAINED!!!

Fatman

Took a shot at it and learned a few things REAL QUICK!!!

You don't need a lot of dye. I mixed the dye in one of my glass canning jars and then poured it in the pan - since I had so much left I grabbed some red fox and stuffed it in the jar and it came out great!!!!

You can't just set these in the dye and leave them as the fur will suck the dye right up - doing these is just a dip and lift and repeat.

Would work way better if you had a clamp and just the tips hung out, more to hold on to and you could do a bunch at the same time.

Altough they weren't perfect you can see white atop the dye on the tips

100_7577.jpg

Close up

100_7578.jpg

Red Fox top view

100_7583.jpg

Red Fox bottom view - shows really nice segmented lines

100_7582.jpg

Fatman

Thanks all - looking at making a bracket for having just the tips out, would be way better than just the wire I used for these ones.

duffy

Looks great, that Chartreuse is really nice and bright. Could you use those steel bulldog paper clamps to hold them with? They have a hole in the handle and can be screwed to a board.

Back