new yarn

rich mc

glad to be back after a problem logging in.   wanted to give you a heads up on a new yarn. wendy eider chunky yarn is a new eyelash type yarn that is awesome for flies and jigs.168 yards for under 4bucks.  my go to 1/8 jig is a leech with a furled tail of this yarn and a body palmered with it. also works great on a crappie jig with a satin wing.  if i could photo them i would    rich mc

Mike G

rich mc said:
glad to be back after a problem logging in.   wanted to give you a heads up on a new yarn. wendy eider chunky yarn is a new eyelash type yarn that is awesome for flies and jigs.168 yards for under 4bucks.  my go to 1/8 jig is a leech with a furled tail of this yarn and a body palmered with it. also works great on a crappie jig with a satin wing.  if i could photo them i would    rich mc

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2.5 inch leech, looks like a minnow.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]#2 Octopus Hook, there isn't an octopus within 800 miles of Lee, IL. 
unsure.png
[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Blue, white, grey, and brown samples circling the Leech.[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]

sx0jdk.jpg

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am rich's ofishal phly fotografer. Rich says that the fly gets better the more you use it. Like this one that has caught 20 bass, rich says :rolleyes: .[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have tied a few with the material and agree that it is really easy to work with though I have not caught 20 yet.[/font]

Pup

I like that tie and the look of the yarn. I'm becoming a fan of octopus hooks for bass ties too. :icon14: :icon14:

rich mc

its available thru herschnerrs yarn.com 166 yrds for 4.99comes in five decent colors    rich mc

Flyjigger

Anybody use Bernat "Fur Out" before it was withdrawn from the market for flammability issues? This "Chunky Yarn" looks pretty much the same.

God Bless,
Don

rich mc

never heard of it,good thing as sometimes i melt the tail. sorry to see they stopped making paton bohemian chennile as that was my favorite

duffy

I like the looks of that leech and that material. Could you or someone elaborate or show how that's tied? What's a furled tail? I tried to look it up but nothing looks like what you have here. Thanks for any help.

rich mc

to furl the tail  cut a 6 inch piece of the yarn  tie one end on the shank by the bend    then twist the other end about 30-40 times or until a knot appears  . then fold it in half tieing the end on the other      yarn will wrap around its self . just like a rubber band did on old balsa wood airplanes .  next i cut another piece and tie on at the same place   i wrap it backward around the tail 3 times then forward to the hook, then around the shank to the eye. once done you can also trim it on the sides for a baitfish profile or flat fora leech   rich

duffy

Thanks for the info Rich, I'll have to give it a whirl when I get some material. I've seen some other brands online with a wider color selection but don't know about the quality. JoAnne's had some similar yarn but it wasn't called eyelash and it was very sparse with the threads. Was kinda funny as the lady I asked about it said she used to tie fly's in high school for a commercial fly shop for extra money.

rich mc

wendy eider chunky yarn is only from herschnerrs. the craft stores carry haute fur but that is sparse and the tips vary. gilt eyelash is flashy and stiffer. at hobby lobby yarn bee snuggle up yarn is also good but it is very bushy and over 1/2 inch long rich

Back