New Walleye Plastic

BucktailJiger

Stumbled across these the other day . Look like they could possibly be affective on Walleye . They are made by Evolve Baits . Kinda resemble a leech in ways , and used in river current could be very productive i would think with the body design .

Attachments

• evolve-vibra-grub.jpg
    evolve-vibra-grub.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 135

toadfrog

If they shot the main body in hard plastic and the wings in soft it will ripple like a jelly fish .

JSC

I think there was one very much like this made several years ago ...Gotta look that up ...

BucktailJiger

They are very impressive . Soon as they hit the water they are alive , even in the cold water , which impressed me . Have a very agressive ripple / flutter action . They are constantly moving , lift and drop , straight retreive or just letting them sit . Rigging them on a 1/8oz wire keeper tear drop head with a 1/0 sickle or a #1 sickle with a stinger .

ndwalleyes

That is an interesting bait to say the least and it may be worth a shot. However, keep in mind that walleyes in a river environment are much like trout in a river/stream in that they are constantly "working" water seams for food. They become accustom to what is available to them as forage such as shad, minnows or crawlers. Here on the upper portions of the Missouri, leaches do not get used as bait often simply because they are not a major forage source like they are in Lake Oahe. Also, the diet of river walleyes will change based on what is most plentyful in the water. Right now on the Missouri we are getting ready to change from minnows to crawlers as the weather is warming up and the rains have brought the crawlers out. So if you have a forage source in your river or lake that you think this bait may mimic... I think they be worth a try.

Hawnjigs

KISS
So NDW, are you referring to lures or natural bait? And depending on timing, a certain bait or lure mimic will get bit significantly more to the exclusion of others?

ndwalleyes

Hawnjigs said:
So NDW, are you referring to lures or natural bait? And depending on timing, a certain bait or lure mimic will get bit significantly more to the exclusion of others?

Live bait for the most part Hawnjigs. I'll preface my answers with I fish on a river 90% of the time and lakes for the rest, and only for walleye. I'm a believer that live bait will always out-fish artificial baits, but that is an argument for another day LOL!

As for your second question, absolutely! I think about what is available to them as natural forage after a heavy rainstorm. Crawlers are abundant and easier to catch vs minnows....so that is what they look for and almost seem to feed on them exclusively. But a few days later they may be back to minnows. When they have the feedbag on, like they do right now, I'll fish plastics because they'll hit anything that moves.

Hawnjigs

KISS
"live bait will always out-fish artificial baits" - I suspect lots of members would be eager to put that to the test up your way, including myself!

NDW, Missouri R. up north is fished from shore or float craft? And are tied jigs effective for your area walleye?

ndwalleyes

You are welcome to come up and experiment anytime Hawnjigs. I've tried everything under the sun and minnows and crawlers on a jig or harness always do the best. GULP! seems to work the best out of all the plastics.

The Missouri is fished both ways. There is a lot of good fishing from shore to be had since a lot the surounding land is owned by the Corps of Engineers , however the river sediment is sand and the fish congregate on the structure on and around the sand bars near the main channel so in order to fish everything, you would need a boat.

I mainly fish lead heads with no tieing. Color seems to make a difference so I have a good selection and add different fleck/sparkels to my paint. I do fish buck tail jigs from time to time however. There are a lot of snags and pike in the river and I plan on going through 5-10 jigs per outing, so putting a lot of time and effort into jigs would be wasted.

Back