new to me jig mold

slammingjack

A friend of mine gave me a jig mold today. It's a Do it JR-8-48. Has 4 1/8 oz. and 4 1/4oz. The funny part of this is it seems to be an old mold. The wooden handles are blue and not black. I looked up this mold at Barlows and it said it was a ball collar.This thing has a plain collar. What I need to know is if I tie it, how do you make it so the thread won't slip off it? Thank you for your time.

Fatman

Yes it's an older mold - you might want to look at it again it's a ball collar mold unless someone moded the mold. Can you post a pic??

BucktailJiger

do a thread wrap on the collar with a half hitch at the end hit it with a dab of super glue and your good to go .

Hawnjigs

KISS
The older JR series molds could have either plain or ball collars. Confusing indeed. If you don't want to mess with glue on every tie the ball collar JRs can often be a good deal on eBay. I got one recently for under $20 including shipping.

Pup

Just using a waxed thread with tight wraps should be enough to eliminate slippage. If you aren't ultra-confident in your thread's wax, run it through a piece of beeswax as you wrap your collar.

Back