New tip in working with jig heads

redman

I had about 400 head to pour and clip. The pouring went smooth it was the clipping and cleaning up the heads that was a pain where pills can't reach. My hands started to develop blisters. Part of the heads came out with way to much flash on them. Dang hooks were not fitting the mold right. New Matzuo Aberdeen hooks were used the VMC work allot better and will get them the next time. Think that I will use the matzuo for the round ball heads.

Any way here is the tip My son is the transportation director of a school in Iowa and does part of there bus maintenance. He gave me a pair of mechanics gloves for my birthday so I could work on all my old boat motors. I used one glove on my right hand to clip and clean all the heads. I didn't snag the gloves and they were light enough that I could work the jig heads and not get any further blisters on my hands. They work very nicely as I could feel as it I didn't have any gloves on. Found out thur a internet search that they are not all that cheap but sure worth the money for not getting a blister and being able to work the jig heads quickly.

They are available at all the major auto parts stores NAPA is my go to place. Might look into getting a pair if you do allot of pouring.

Redman

Bucko

Yup I use those also. I do a small snip with my mini gate shears then twist the sprue off. Takes some practice and a certain angle as not to cut into the head itself, but works for me.

StumpHunter

X2 :):) I have a pair also. Great for working on the cars and jigs. You don't lose much control of small parts wearing em.

Great tip to post Redman.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Redman, if you don't already, you can twist the eyes or points back to center with pliers. I know, seems tedious but if you use Matzuo hooks you get used to it.

I think I will look at a pair of those gloves as with the amount of heads that go thru my hands I wear holes in leather.

redman

Keith I work allot on the old outboards and they are a joy to have on they have saved my hands on more that one occasion. Now with working with the jigs I have found out one more use for them. I will some times wear them while out Catfishing to take off fish and pull up the jugs. When they ware out I will be buying a new pair. But I have had these almost a year and out side washing them a few times they are like the day I cut the tags. Know that I don't do as many heads as you but they saved my hands these last few days.

Redman

Back