New Lead melter - for me

Kdog

Quite a while back, I bought a Lee Pro 4 20# as a back up for my old Production Pot IV. Its been sitting on a shelf ever since I bought it. Lil Drippy finally got plugged and after cleaning, well its still plugged and needs more work but I had to get some jigs cast. So I broke out the new pot, plugged it in, filled it with lead, set the thermostat to 5 and walked away for a bit. Came back and lead was melting nicely so I added a fresh ingot to mostly fill the pot.

Ate lunch and came back to discover the pot leaked like a sieve (minor adjustment) no leaks. Put the drips back in the pot, yes, I put a catch pan in place before walking away... good habit from the PP-IV. So no big mess.
Started pouring jigs. Major learning curve it squirts out a lot of lead,, fast.
Nozzle is too big to fit into most of my pouring basins. But it does fit my Jacobs molds so I cast the run I hadda get done.

I think I'm going to like it. The 20# capacity makes for a lot higher metal pressure and thus far has been great for casting and I even cast some 1-1/2 oz spoons and have to admit, they have never looked that good.

If you are considering a new pot, it is worth considering this one over a PP IV the 16 dollar difference in price is IMO money well spent.

Bucko

If it drips, which it will, just keep a screwdriver handy and spin that screw head on the top for the plunger. I do like mine overall. If it flowed a bit faster yet, it'd be awesome.

Kdog

Bucko said:
If it drips, which it will, just keep a screwdriver handy and spin that screw head on the top for the plunger. I do like mine overall. If it flowed a bit faster yet, it'd be awesome.

Mine flows too fast as it is but flow can be adjusted via the valve rod I got it adjusted to where I could cast what I needed and will fine tune in the near future. I used one at a buddies house a few years ago to cast minnie and maxi balls ~500 grain (1-1/8 oz) range and remembered adding a weight to the control handle to make sure it closed completely and he has not complained of drips. Turn the valve rod CW to decrease flow and CCW to increase flow. Just dont go too far or it will leak.

Its going to be great for larger jigs, just not sure about the smaller ones. do not know if I can control the flow rate.

Bucko

You can adjust the flow rate. I pour down to 1/80 with no problems. Still takes a quick hand though. I was wanting higher flow rate for pouring 3 to 6 ounces weights.

Back