New Guy from Ontario, Canada

smallmouth

I have a good friend with a production setup for pouring leadheads. He can pour some of the tiniest heads I've seen. He is however reluctant to do many of the ultra small ball heads as he feels there is hardly enough lead volume to get a good bond to the hook. He is not happy with getting only 50 or sixty percent success from pouring these little heads. I'm thinking I might be better off to tie pin jigs with metal beads unless someone here can offer advice on pouring tiny leadheads. Any advice?

God Bless,
Don

Hawnjigs

KISS
Lead free bismuth-tin alloy fills out the head cavity and grips the hook very well. I use 2-1 bismuth-tin down to 1/64 #10 - have no need for smaller. The metals are expensive at around $20 per lb. but being lighter than lead can make around 100 1/64 oz. heads per oz. of metal which works out to less than $.02 per head.

Bonus is that these metals are considered non-toxic & allowed in lead banned areas like Canadian federal lands. Lead free casting metals should be available in Ontario, but I could send you some 2-1 for $15 / lb. if you have trouble aquiring some.

Back