New Guy from Ontario, Canada

smallmouth

Thanks for the welcome messages gentlemen. I am a pretty serious flyfishermen but I usually throw more "meat" flies than bugs. I belong to a flyfishing club and flycast a lot of small jigs and usually catch more and bigger fish than the bug tossers.

I got back into flyfishing about the time guys were starting to use beadhead flies. Prior to becoming a serious flyfisher, I was a 4 pound test ultra lite spinning guy who tied his own jigs and caught a lot of fish with them. I figured the bead heads and Clouser Minnows were just different kinds of jigs so I started earnestly fishing jigs on my flyrods. The results of my efforts on the stillwater rainbows were consistently good. Because I am only allowed to use a flyrod and barbless hooks at the club, I have become very adept at tossing all kinds of creations on my fly setups. (floaters, intermediate, sink tip and my favourite, full sinking lines.)

My spinning rods have been seriously neglected because of my developing skill with the flyrod.

I use a baitcaster for heavy jigs and crankbaits, my flyrod for lighter jigs and weighted and unweighted streamers and I'm getting out the spinning gear for the 1/16 to quarter ounce jigs and drop shot rigs. Through all of my fishing, jigs have been pretty much my go to artificial.

More than 40 years ago I read that the jig was the only lure included in the U.S. Army Survival Kit. I have enjoyed tying and using them ever since. I just turned 65 in June and don't have to buy a fishing license any more. That leaves more for the jig tying fund.

I'm really glad I stumbled across this site and am happy to be aboard. Here's a sunfish I tied on a lightweight "fish head". Need to tie up some more for the bass.

Sunfish.jpg

God Bless,
Don

Jig Man

Hey Don, welcome from west texas... Your gonna like this place. There are a lot of talented tyers hanging around here. And a great bunch of people.

CrappieHappy

Welcome Don! That is a awesome sunfish you tied! Kick back, and enjoy the site. Would love to see more of your work, and possibly a tutorial eventually if you are up to it.

Glad you found us!

Heath

smallmouth

crappiehappy said:
Welcome Don! That is a awesome sunfish you tied! Kick back, and enjoy the site. Would love to see more of your work, and possibly a tutorial eventually if you are up to it.

Glad you found us!

Heath

The sunfish jig was pretty easy. I bought a fake fur coat at the Sally Ann and cut a zonker style stip and palmered it to get the bulk I wanted. Then I just went to town with permanent markers and "Gooped" on the eyes. Again thanks for the welcome. Looks like a great place to share ideas and techniques.

Speaking of techniques, I haven't done a lot of dropshotting yet but it seems that using a jig as the dropshot would be a good idea unless there were regulations against fishing two lures on one line. Anybody try this?

I love to experiment with materials. Bernat used to produce some great yarns which work extremely well for fly tying. Anybody here use "Fur Out" or "Disco Yarn"? Those are my favourites. Unfortunately both are discontinued. Here's a "Fur Out" crayfish.

FurOutCrayfish.jpg

God Bless,
Don

toadfrog

Greetings Don right about now It's so hot here I wouldn't mind being your next door neighbor . Sure would like to fish up there some day. We Love to see Pics of ties and new techniques or old ones for that matter. You'll find that if we Know It we'll share it . So WELCOME from middle U.S. OKLAHOMA

Pup

Welcome and nice ties. :icon14:

Anybody here use "Fur Out" or "Disco Yarn"?

I've been using Bernat Disco Eyelash Yarn for years. Sometimes I'll use Lion Brand Fun Fur since it's similar and so readily available. Shortly after it was discontinued, I made sure that I obtained a decent supply of "Disco" that should last me for quite some time.

Here are some posts where I've shown some of my eyelash yarn ties if you are interested.

smallmouth

Again, thanks for the warm welcome guys. Pup did you ever conme across Bernat "Fur Out"? It was out at the same time as the Disco Yarn but was withdrawn earlier because it was found to be flammable.

God Bless,
Don

Fatman

Don

Welcome aboard from Vermont!!!!!!!!!! Glad you found us, and nice ties!!!! Enjoy and have lots of fun, lots of great folks here and all are willing to help. If you got tips post em up!!!!!!

Again Welcome

Fatman

Pup

Pup did you ever conme across Bernat "Fur Out"?

Smallmouth,

Can't say that I ever tried it.

Other eyelash yarns I've purchased and use include Moda Dea Zing and Sensations Cello. There are several others I'm planning to try as I replenish my supply.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Aloha from HI Don. Seriously effective looking ties! I'm a few years shy of you with no plans to ever buggy whip, developing spinning skills requires all my limited water time & attention.
Keith

smallmouth

Pup,

I used to get all my "funky" yarns at Micheal's but the cupboard is bare there now. I can only find stuff if I get lucky in one of the Dollar Stores. Where do you find your eyelash yarns? "Boa Yarn? has it's uses as well.

God Bless,
Don

Pup

Where do you find your eyelash yarns? "Boa Yarn?

SM,

I've purchased eyelash yarns at Jo Ann Fabrics, Michaels, Big Lots, Meijer, Wal-Mart, and Hobby Lobby. I am a bit unsure, but I may have purchased some from Hancock Fabrics too. Those are my favorite craft/fabric stores to shop in the Indianapolis, Indiana area.

My supply is pretty considerable. I don't remember purchasing any over the past year. I have many skeins of Disco, Fun Fur, Zing, Cello, and several skeins of a nice-looking N.Y. Yarns fluff print which is a "micro" eyelash yarn.

Have never used Boa, though I've often considered trying my own "modified" version of the following tie if I ever purchase some.

Grass Carp Fly

Back