New custom rod and new Pflueger President XT

Jubs

I had this rod made by BigDaddy Rods. I wanted an Ultralight that had some back bone as my 7'6" ul that I have was too slow of an action for my liking causing problems on getting solid hookups a lot of times. This is a 7' ul 2 piece that I had built just for the reel. The reel is a Pflueger President XT 6725xt model. Both the rod and reel are works of art. I finally got a chance to use it this afternoon on some trout and it performed nicely. When I asked for back bone I got it! I broke 4# Trilene XT once while setting the hook so I swapped to 6# Trilene XT and broke off again and then again I broke off on a hook set this time breaking off on the mainline Fireline Crystal Braid 4#. I also bought a 11'6" crappie/trout ul rod that he had but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

4546849797_293079613e.jpg
4547485268_0945e0a14d.jpg
4546851415_dc9ed40cd9.jpg
4547487224_a94da8bd0f.jpg
4547488250_f28c8f791a.jpg
4546853913_1a06427c42.jpg
4546860981_af72963688.jpg
4547494302_5e5d2d6676.jpg
4546858185_b8a185f2a5.jpg
4546857457_56a49c22fd.jpg
4546856641_bf1683825a.jpg
4547490758_36be713bdb.jpg
4546854931_c4ac592d3e.jpg

cadman

Very nice looking combo. I like the customized rod. Skull, crossbones and all. Sure looks nice all brand new. Nothing like a custom made rod.

Jubs

Thanks Cadman.

Doc Crappie said:
Jubs

Do you have measurement markers on the blank as well for quick reference. I like it 7-1/2' I like that also may have to see what Mary Lou can do that is comparable to that one. Already have a 3/4 weight fly rod from BigDaddy Rods and really like that so I know the quality of the rod you have in your hands never used the reel you have but have nothing but good things about them. Would definitely be interested in an ultra light in that length.

What are the line and lure weights that you specified for the rod when you had it made....
No I don't have measurement markers on the blank. At least not that I am aware of. I use my hands anymore to measure (middle finger to bottom of my palm 8" and across palm 4"- 4 1/4" depending on which section I am using).

The rod is 7' I have a 7'6" ultralight that I love but it drives me nuts due to not being able to get solid hook sets due too being such a slow action blank (flexes all the way to the handle no real back bone to drive the hook "home") I have caught a lot of fish on it but have also lost a lot more than is acceptable to me due to not being able to get a solid hook set.

Hawnjigs said:
The guides look all metal - what kind are they? Are the top 5 or so guides the same size?
I am not sure on the specs of the guides I will have to ask him. They are all metal but have inserts not just the regular all metal cheap ones you find in production rods. I was very specific in what I wanted for guides. I told him I don't like bulky guides and I don't like the plain metal ones and these are what he came up with.

Top five are the same the tip is close to the top 5 in size but I don't think it is exactly the same. All I know is I don't have another rod that casts as well as this thing.

Doc Crappie said:
I believe the guides are either a stainless steel or titanium inserts not positive just my guess, but good question on the top 5 or so guides for they do all look the same size to me as well...
I think you are right but I am not 100% sure yet either I will have to ask him. I told him I planned on using braid so I wanted something that was going to hold up.
OKSTATEjiggy said:
Nice rod!! I dig the skullXcrossbones and, once again, awesome photos
Thanks Jiggy.

LRB said:
That is a very nice combo !!!!...:)

MaryLou~~
Thank you.

So far I have caught 11 trout on it and once I got the hang of how this rod reacts to hook sets it has worked great for me. It casts like a dream and having as much backbone as it does I have to be careful on the hook sets as I was breaking off leaders and even the fireline mainline the first day out with it. The more I use it the more it grows on me. The sensitivity is unreal as well. I live in a very windy area and both the times I have used this rod it was windy and this kills the strike sensitivity. My fishing partner caught 1 to my 5 (limit) trout on Saturday due to him not feeling the light strikes. Even the light bites I have been experiencing here this past weekend (fished Friday and Saturday) felt like a jackhammer compared to my production rods.

Jubs

I sent him a message asking about the guides and here is the response I received.

"They are PacBay minima style guides. It has a ring of titanium alloy in there. Very lightweight and very durable. Not the cheapest for sure!!! I found that if I spend a little extra on materials for a custom rod, the difference goes a long way!!!

Randy"

snake River

we are looking for a rod builder preferably ultra lights and graphite with Fuji guides it be you guys know of a good builder please PM me we would at least want 25 rods built.

Bigdadyrods

Doc Crappie

I do put on some measurement markers but I do that if asked. Sometimes you don't want to to over "bling" the rod.
I just finished a fly rod for a guy in SW PA who wanted some markers as well. He even shipped me his older rod and I put numbers on to coincide with the markers.

the guides were PacBay and work well for me. Pretty hard to find a company producing bad guides. the tip top didn't come in #5 ring, so I used a #6 ring. I've built them down to #2 and find them pretty light. Problem is with bobber stops or swivels. The line fits thru no problem but some guys use a bobber stop regularly and that catches in the guide.
With custom rods, you have to discuss what the customer wants, what he will fish with and we also discuss the size of the reel.

I hope the rod is still performing well.

Big D

Back