New Chapter in my life

PanfishHunter

Well, yesterday was my 18th birthday. With turning 18, I applied to a few places for my first job.

I applied to Academy Sports and Outdoors Friday morning, and they hired me that night! It was a great interview, very laid back, and i felt comfortable. I went in yesterday and did all the paperwork that was required in order to start there today.

I feel like this is going to be a great experience, and they pay very well too, along with a nice employee discount. I'm definitely excited!
Wish me luck guys!

rich mc

enjoy your first job also get a photo of you working , you only have a first job once in your life . rich mc

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Good for you...... but with an employee discount at a fishing/hunting retailer, i might not have much money in my check at the end of the week!

Pup

When I've visited Academy's store in Hixson, TN, I found it to be really good for both price and selection. They seem to cater to those who are in the middle of the fishing road. Not a lot of, if any of, top end. However, quite a selection of quality items at reasonable prices. Great for those who don't wish to spend a fortune, but still would like some quality items to pursue fishing.

Advice: Read their weekly circulars, if published in papers or online, and memorize them. Continue to fish a lot in your off time. With product and fishing expertise, you'll become a store assistant or a manager before you know it.

Best wishes to you.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Will you be in the fishing tackle dept.? I worked a few summers at a small town tackle shop when I was younger than you and really enjoyed chatting with the customers about our mutual interest. Great advice from Pup, maybe there's a career ahead of you. Customers really appreciate knowledgeable assistance, haven't found any yet out my way, even at the original Cabela's.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
As Pup mentioned, you certainly can work your way up from the bottom if you are passionate about what you do! I started out working in a retail sporting goods & awards store just doing computerized engraving. 3 hours a day after school once wrestling season was over and all it payed for was to put gas in my car and buy me fishing gear. May have bought my girl a trinket or 2. Had great people to work for and really enjoyed working on computers and creating digital graphics. Fast forward 20 years and i am responsible for pretty much all the service side goods (engraving, screen print, embroidery, custom apparel, graphic design) going out the back door of that same downtown small business. I am now co-owner of the place and will buy out the other owner once he is ready to retire. :)

Back