New business

skeetbum

Not much has been posted here so I thought I’d start things going again, maybe. I’ve built some nice rods in the past year or so and I’m happy with the results. I’ve also done some builds and rebuilds for myself and friends, each one with its own learning curve. Mostly Fenwick blanks and with Mudhole a twenty minute drive away it’s a blessing and a curse. For me I built a 5’6”, 6’, and a 6’6”,all rated from 2-6lb line and they all perform very well. I don’t bank fish much and built the 6’6” fora float setup. Problem is it’s just as sensitive as the smaller ones and a decent fish is a ton of fun on it. The 5’6” was a skeleton build with red trim and is the one I grab without thinking. Very good for the tight quarters I spend a lot of time in, and just enough backbone to handle a surprise fish very well. Lucked into a 5lb 10oz tilapia a few months back on it and was very surprised that everything held up and I got him to the net. My last build is a 6’ Phenix mirage rated from 1-5lb line and is very ultra light. I was lucky enough to get a used Presso that I keep on it that makes a super combo. If you have the skills, pick em back up again and make something for yourself. Mine make me smile a lot lately…….SkeetIMG_4236.jpegIMG_4533.jpegIMG_4513.jpeg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Those big gills must be quite a tug on your featherweight gear. Thats a huge tilapia, do they fight much at that size? Do you target tucs?

hookup

I pretty much make all the rods I fish with. Have been a St Croix 'ho for decades. Just lov the action and power of the blanks.

5'6' SCIII UL, 6'6" SCIII, 6' SCV M and SCiV ML, and 6'6" SCII MH

Got all the blanks on sale when newer models were introduced.

ii2V68l.jpg
GAcyqVi.jpg
ipIuRpp.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey Mr. HU, have you had any breakage problems with St. Croix? I really like the config of the Premier 5'6"M but recent customer reviews have been unsettling.

BTW examining the pic of your "walleye" the blotchy ones like yours I catch out here I think are saugeye.

RockGeo

Skeet and Hookup, I admire your ability to make your own rods! That is an art unto itself. Skeet, the rods you have in your photos look top shelf! I admit that the higher quality blanks make a great rod. I tend to buy the St. Croix brand and have never had a bad one. But the price keeps my numbers down. As an alternative, my wife has encouraged me to attend auctions, which I have had fun at. I end up with some duds but also some gems. I have also gotten some great deals on overlooked lures and lure parts. I have to set my prices so I don't get caught up in the bidding but I have brought home some nice rods and reels on the cheap in addition to lures.

hookup

Hey Mr. HU, have you had any breakage problems with St. Croix?

The only time I've ever broke a St. Croix has been by slamming a door on the tip or by closing the trunk on the end of a reel seat

When Shikari went out of business, I bought about a dozen of their banks for cheap. Broke 1/2 dozen of their blanks setting the hook. Also broke a RX8 setting the hook.

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, think I'm gonna go for that Premier.

Do rods lose their stiffness over time? Seems like my 5'3"L Fenwick HMG is feeling softer. Could lots of big fish fights exceeding their designed for use soften them?

skeetbum

A little update on one of the rods I posted for this. The first one that’s trimmed in pink has a new home. I have a friend that does me favors all the time. He recently did me some wire retainers onto a few hundred of my trolling and other plastics jigs down to size 8. When I asked him what I owed him he said to just build him something. Problem is I’m not Japanese and he likes their rods. Time went by and a thought crossed my mind. He has a 4 YO son that he’s bringing up in the sport and dad cringes thinking about a casting mistake on one of his major crafts. His name is Finn and the rod is now the Finn Stick. I couldn’t be happier and hopefully it survives his youth. I’ve already caught hundreds on that that rod and he should carry it on.

and to answer the question about the fight of a Tilapia that size, OMG!! Within a few week period I danced with 5 of those and boated 2 or 3. Each over 4lbs and nothing easy about them. And surprisingly they hit jigs. The early stages of the fight are filled with very strong surges and runs. Regaining line is almost impossible so it’s a lift and reel down sort of fight. Get em close and they say goodbye, many times. I had to palm the spool and fight with the rod to tire them and get them in the net. When palming they get mad and surge off at which point you have to let ‘em go and start again. I hung onto one on a Phenix 5’ ul and a 1/32 rooster tail in yellow. I was moving to open water but not fast enough. He surged and began to head for some lilys which I couldn’t allow. This was about 3 minutes into the fight. So I palmed and held tight and I thought the hook pulled free. No biggie as it was expected. Couple of casts later I cleared a weed off of the little treble hook to find the 4 lb Varivas braid held, as did my knots and 4lb Stren leader, but the beast had straightened one of the hooks. I love my little rods.

Back