Need some help...

CropE

I have decided to go with a Regal Vise...I need help with all other area's of making Crappie Jigs..

Basic stuff like : The best Hook and Jig head to get , the right material to buy for Crappie Jigs..and the Dry paint to get to start out with..

Keep in mind I am not only new to the forum..I am new to making hand tied jigs period..so take it easy on me for dumb questions.

Somebody give me a " basic " list of what to buy to make a complete Crappie jig..I'm not to worried about color or materials at this point , just need to know the basics.

Thanks in advance,

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Basic stuff......

Tools: Vise, bobbin (to hold your thread) and some scissors.

Jigs: This comes down to preference mostly. For crappie jigs, many like sickle hooks but both styles work. I would suggest using jigs that have no lead barb for holding plastic baits - makes it easier to work with if you are tying straight on the hook shank.

Paint: If you are looking at powder paint, many of the fishing lure supply shops sell some. Need to have something to heat the head (candle, alcohol lamp, heat gun) and also an oven to cure the jigs if you want the paint to last. I have a toaster oven setup in my work area. They cure around 350 for 20 minutes or so, each paint brand might be a little different.

Material: Marabou or strung hackle are probably the most popular. Mallard flank is very popular also. Rabbit zonkers are great for tails. Bucktail or craftfur is also good for long tails. Kip tail is used frequently on smaller/short tail jigs. Each tail material has a little different action to it.

toadfrog

Well I can tell already you have fallen into the high dollar trap .I'll tell you what you don't need . You don't need a fancy rotary vise , $40 boddins or scissors . You don't need whip finishers , Hair stackers or any of that stuff . You will need a lead pot , round head molds no barb 1/32 , 1/16 to start . sickle hooks that fit the mold . Flat waxed nylon thread which brings me to this point . Take a piece of your choice of color chenille that you may buy to use pull some of the filliment off the tag end . Look at that color because that is the color you need to tie the jig . Chenille you will need . It is strictly a personal choice thing . A small pair of fisker scissors. Bobbins come ceramic tipped or plain tip either will do as long as the tube and legs are set in a solid body . Don't get the ones that look like they are crimped together by metal clips . Finally powder paint . Almost any brand will do .Green Chart , Flo Yellow/ Chart , Black , White for a start . Hackle Feathers 4 to 6 inches long or longer if you don't pay through the nose for them . Your choice of colors , Tie what YOU ! like . Same goes for marabou . The reason I made the statement about the fancy vise is , jigs are pretty straight forward . No real fancy twists or turns . That comes with fly tying and tying a fly behind a jig head .I use a Thompson F lever action . It has tied conservatively 100,000 jigs .But again vises are a personal choice Just try not to let it become a vice .

SlabHappy

I think toadfrog pretty much summed it up. Might get a toaster oven as well to cure the heads after I paint. I just started tying a couple months back. I like black nickel sickle hooks the best. It is an addiction, and is not cheap. You think, oh the material is only $1 a pack, and I can tie 20 or so with a pack of chenille, but then you think you need every color available, then every hackle, every marabou, every color thread, every paint. It's an addiction! But a fun one.

CropE

Thanks Fella's ...thats what I wanted to read..just trying to understand what to spend money on and stuff that I will actually need and use..I know its a pain having to explain every little thing...so I appreciate yall's time.

toadfrog

Your welcome . Slabhappy is right knew I'd forget something .If you can find a convection type toaster oven . More even temp , also get a meat thermometer long stem drill a hole through to the inner heat chamber and stick it in . Those little ovens are not so true on the temp settings . Look at garage sales and resale shops 5 -10 bucks will get you an oven . If its not convection install a little computer fan or something on the exterior oven air vents . This will require a little metal work to make a box for the fan to be attached .Not all that necessary or critical , but can help some if you are going for accuracy . More tech stuff - get a piece of flat metal aluminum or whatever . drill holes down it . install 3'' 1/4 20 bolts . get some large sleeveless gator clips put them on the bolts sticking up . Use these to hold your jigs head up so if the paint drips it goes down the shank off the hook . This methed keeps the jig head from having egg head from paint drips .

CropE

I can see all of this getting out of hand....I have a reloading room in my house and my wife says it looks like a pawn shop back there...LOL...I can see I will have to find another table and set me up a spot, this jig tying looks like it can become habit forming and I have not even had my vise delivered yet....again..thanks for all the info.

CrappieHappy

all valid points mentioned thus far. I would stay skinny on the supplies until you know for certain you want to stay with this new hobby....

Best of luck, in your new hobby, we are here for you when you need us.....

Back