Need Information on Butt Rings

mitrisin

Some of you are using Butt Rings instead of split rings to attach your blades to your jigs. I have a couple of questions.
1) Is there a difference between a butt ring and a split ring?
2) When you close the ring, do you solder or otherwise seal the split in the ring or do you just close it up?

Mike

LedHed

Sponsor
Butt ring (aka jump ring) are not the same as split rings. Split rings are double looped and require a tool to open them to add blades, hooks, swivels, & jigs. They are a stronger connection for hooks.

I close the jump rings (with pliers) slightly pushing the ends together, so they "tic" while lining them up. I check to make sure there is no gap.

They can be ordered from lurecraft or LPO. They use SS.
I use them to attach blades to swivels.

JSC

Have been usin Butt Rings for some time now ... really makes it easy for blades.
Same as LedHed ... xcept it place in a fly vise and use a needle nose to close it.
If I can find a pic I made some time ago I will post. Thank Cadman for suggestin the
use of butt rings some time ago.

LedHed

Sponsor
You can also make your own - the tools (mandrel & cutters) and materials (various metal wire in different diameters) can be found with jewelery supplies. I couldn't get a clean cut - would have to get a polisher. Found it easier to buy them...

JSC

I lucked up and found the Pix .. place in vise as shown and twist with needle nose to close.

Attachments

• Buttringwith vise.jpg
    Buttringwith vise.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 120

hunter7711

Hobby Lobby sells a tool to open and close. It is a ring you put on your finger. It has a slit in it to twist open and close. GREAT tool.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Fatman

I use split rings right now as I bought a couple thousand from Hagens 2 yrs ago. I also use mine on V-spinner frames (Beetle spin) so they get double duty. When they're gone maybe I'll change. You can use the cheap Worth split ring pliers but I bought a pair of the Texas Tackle split ring pliers and I really like them!!!

mitrisin

Fatman said:
I use split rings right now as I bought a couple thousand from Hagens 2 yrs ago. I also use mine on V-spinner frames (Beetle spin) so they get double duty. When they're gone maybe I'll change. You can use the cheap Worth split ring pliers but I bought a pair of the Texas Tackle split ring pliers and I really like them!!!

Fatman, will the small size Texas Tackle split ring pliers work well with the size 0 split rings that Do-It recommends?

Fatman

Yes they will. I think the ones I got from Hagens are a size 1, but I'll check when I get home. If your getting split rings for Horsehead/ponyhead or adding a crane swivel to a hook shank you don't need stainless steel split rings.

mitrisin

Fatman said:
If your getting split rings for Horsehead/ponyhead or adding a crane swivel to a hook shank you don't need stainless steel split rings.

I get the cheap ones for that but I'm trying to decide if I should go to Butt Rings because they're easier.

Back