Need help! Smallmouth jig?

johnt-ms

A few buddies and I are headed to the buffalo river in North Arkansas next weekend. I need some advise on how to catch smallmouth bass and some jig ideas. Anyone haveany input.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not familiar with the river flow and clarity and all - but i would say you want 2 styles of jigs.... at least. :D Here are my preferences.

Some type of minnow patterns: I like natural colors. White, gray or silver for clear water and black, dark green or brown for muddy water. These i twitch/rip or swim. Same look as simple crappie jigs.
101_0443_e.jpg
101_0819_e.jpg

Creature jigs: These i use much slower with hopping motions either on, or very close to bottom. Head sizes will vary, whatever you need to get down for how fast the current is. Craw styles or other bug looks work well. I use mostly dark natural colors for these with pretty full tails. Drk. green, black, orange, red...... The fuller the tail, the action will be a little slower.

Don't really need a tie with all the legs, just fish them slow and on the bottom.
101_0419.jpg
101_0418.jpg

Now these are all just my prefered methods. ;) Try to mimic a 3" to 4" tube jig in green or black and you will not go wrong! THIS is my all time favorite and most productive in almost any water clarity......
101_1263_e.jpg

hhawkins

Hey Johnt-ms, White with a little silver flash, peanutbutter and jelly, white and pink with some red flash, chartreuse head-white body and crawdad colors. Where on the buffalo are you going to be? You wouldn't be fishing to far from where I live. Unfortunitly, I have to work this weekend or I would come and say "HI!"

Jiggin Joe

the crawfish jigs that crazyangler started work great on the smallies. there is one pictured on the homepage I belive

Back