Need a tip on pouring pony jigheads

mitrisin

I find that that a high percentage of times when I pour pony jigheads that the swivel slips down lower in it's slot after the mold is closed and is not molded into the jighead. I am using a #12 crane swivel like called for. I only pour 1/32 and 1/16oz jigs. Any hints on what I'm doing wrong or how to prevent this. Any help Is truly appreciated.

Fatman

Having cast 1000's of them the biggest tip I can give you is make sure you lay the mold flat when loading the hooks and swivels, if you have to pull the wire up and make sure it goes in the slot. When everything is loaded close the mold and hold it closed and pour!!! Even with as many as I've poured I still have a few slip. Not all of them will be perfectly in the nose you'll see some a little bit out but they work fine.

Don't forget Blakemore's are spin cast and if you look at a few packs you'll see some with theirs also. I have a pack of 2 where they cut the spru off and there's still a short nub left they weren't even sanded off smooth.

If you need any more help let me know and I'll help you out.

redman

Yes by all means load your mold on its side, close tight and then pour. Listen to the Fatman he knows what he is talking about. You might even find that you have a mold that one cavity is slightly off and will never pour exactly right. I have one of my favorite molds a Do-It pony that is that way. Think that it got dropped and hit on one edge and thur off one of the end cavities. Maybe while in shipping you can never tell.

Redman

Back