nail polish

Jungleboy

nail polish melts powder coat paint ? Put a coat of sally Hansen hards as nails on one of my powder coated jigs to seal the eyes and the coating went soft and melted into the brush .Was not expecting that! Anyone else experience this?

LedHed

Sponsor
Try "Sally Hansen DIAMOND SHINE Base & Top Coat • CLEAR #3479". It cost a little more but it's claim is that it can be used with any nail color... I used it on glow pink with no lift. There are a bunch of different SH clear coats. You might try a clear coat of cheaper enamel (Wet n Wild) and then your SH.

Kdog

Some Powder coats require a clear coat (powder coat clear) these can be affected by most solvent based clear coats. You need to see what super glue does to those coatings.. Yuck!!!!

I have found that devcon 2 ton epoxy does not have that effect and makes for a great top coat as well. You just need a jig turner for it to level out and cure.

Even Better, some PC need to be cured between Color and clear coats and others need to be done together. I also know that one of the tests for PC involves acetone and a cloth to check for solvent resistance. Most PC when cured properly are solvent resistant. So most likely your PC is undercured or was put on too thick. Both conditions cause poor solvent resistance

Jungleboy

Kdog said:
Some Powder coats require a clear coat (powder coat clear) these can be affected by most solvent based clear coats. You need to see what super glue does to those coatings.. Yuck!!!!

I have found that devcon 2 ton epoxy does not have that effect and makes for a great top coat as well. You just need a jig turner for it to level out and cure.

Even Better, some PC need to be cured between Color and clear coats and others need to be done together. I also know that one of the tests for PC involves acetone and a cloth to check for solvent resistance. Most PC when cured properly are solvent resistant. So most likely your PC is undercured or was put on too thick. Both conditions cause poor solvent resistance

That is probably my problem. I powder coated with a heat gun and not an oven so it is probably not cured the way it should be. Live and learn ,as they say :)

toadfrog

Yea buddy bet under cure is it . Got to cook them bout 15 min on average . The way I do mine takes a long time but you need a grinder to make a dent in them . Only use the special process for lures that go where the fish have teeth .

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
If you put the layer of nail polish on very quickly, you can sometimes get away with it not messing up the original paint. Don't brush it anymore once you get the polish on it, slap it on and set it aside. Let it dry completely and you can put a 2nd coat on.

plateboater

agree with Stump on chartreuse! SH is the way to go overall based on my personal experience. Been using a clear fingernail polish on jigs for over 20 years. When I was the young tender flower getting ready for the walleye run on river my Uncle and two friends poured and powder coated baked......tail end of the line was me to painting ever jig with clear fingernail coating. I look back and think that was a good guess over several thousand jigs!

SlabHappy

It did the same thing to me the first time I tried it. I started coating the head using the UV Do-It epoxy for my eyes.

QPassage

I just don't trust the nail polish to hold my eyes on. Therefore I take the time and glue them on using the Loctite All Purpose GO2 Glue It dries crystal clear and bonds very well. I may be old school on this but since it does dry clear I simply just dip a toothpick in it, then slide the eye on the toothpick/glue and stick it on. It doesn't take very much glue to hold it permanently. I then top coat after it dries with this http://www.tcpglobal.com/SprayPaint...No=KRY+1303A&gclid=COWbsrmI0bwCFeRi7AodfVMA4g
It dries in minutes and seals it very well. In the 500 plus jig's I have tied in the last month I have caught 1 eye with the tying thread and it only came loose. I've marked that one up as inefficient craftsmanship from a late night get this project done with the possibility I was drinking decaf in place of a real cup of java.

Kdog

Over at TU, lots of guys are really pushing GST concrete sealer as a top coat. It sure sounds easy but at 30 gallon not something I want try try at this time. It does sound good though, just dip and hang to dry. Additional coats just increase gloss and thickness.

I love my epoxy and really like Dick Nites lure coat. Both require a turner but I like the end result.

hookup

I've tried to paint every color of jig I've powder paint to see what happens. Nail polish changes the color sometimes.

StumpHunter said:
The only color this has ever happened to me was on chartreuse.

I make an orange by painting a chartreuse head with nail polish. Not sure why it works, but it's a nice flame bright orange.

Also make a nice lime green by painting green pumpkin powder paint with nail polish.

Back