My method for sticking on 3-D eyes

Shoemoo

I have come up with a method for getting 3-D eyes to stay stuck without resorting to epoxy. Epoxy works great, but it has a short working time (or long drying time) and you have to be careful how you mix it because it gets bubbles. My method takes less work and results in eyes that will stay on practically forever. This is what you need:

3-D eyes
Super glue gel
Duco Cement (available at Dollar General for about $1)
Acetone (nail polish remover)
Squeezy head cement bottle with needle tip

Word about the materials:

It doesn't matter what brand of super glue gel you use, but you MUST use the gel with a precision tip bottle. Regular superglue will run all over the place.

Duco Cement used to be available in bottles, but now it seems they only sell it in tubes. You can't use it straight from the tube because it's VERY runny and the tubes have a mouth that is way too big for jigs. Thanks to Fatman for turning me onto this wonderful product.

Preparation:

Take your applicator bottle and fill it about half full with Duco Cement. Add a few drops of acetone to thin it out enough so it will flow easily through the metal needle. It will take some practice to get the consistency right, but as long as the bottle is easy to squeeze it doesn't matter.

I find it speeds up the process if I peel the eyes off the sticker sheet and stick them to the side of the index finger on the hand I'm holding the jig with. I'm right handed, so I use my left hand.

Directions:

Put a dab of super glue gel in the eye socket.

Peel the eye off and stick it in the socket.

Repeat on the other side.

Hang the jig to let the superglue dry for a few minutes and move onto the next jig. I usually do about 25 at a time and find once I'm done with the last jig the first one is ready for the next step.

Once the glue is dry enough to keep the eye in place (it doesn't have to be fully cured) grab your bottle of Duco Cement and give it a good squeeze while upright. You want the suction when you let it go to be enough to draw it back through the needle and into the bottle. Otherwise it will continue to flow out the tip.

Tip the bottle over and use the needle to apply the thinned cement around the edges of the eye. Try to make it as smooth as possible, but if it's not smooth don't worry. Repeat on the other side.

Hang the jig and move onto the next one. The cement will be dry enough to handle the jig in about 10 minutes, but until it fully cures it will be a milky white color and kind of crusty looking. Full cure takes about 24 hours. Until then you will wonder if you've ruined your jigs. Fear not! It is crystal clear once completely cured. You can put them in a bin, tie on them or whatever while waiting for them to cure.

I used to just use super glue gel, or super glue gel and clear coat nail polish. But after awhile the eyes would fall off. Since switching to this method, I have never had a jig lose its eye, even after hitting rocks. I think it would take a bomb to dislodge them. I have caught 200+ fish on one jig and the eyes were still on when I lost it in a tree.

Shoemoo

Made a mistake in the first post. It's Family Dollar that sells it in the tubes for $1 each. Way cheaper than the hardware store or anywhere else I've found. I hit them all and buy it up whenever I'm in town.

You can buy empty bottles. Aside from the fly head cement dispensers I mentioned, the e-cigarette/vaping craze has created a whole new market for steel needle-tipped squeeze bottles. They're all over the place on eBay, and very cheap. Just ordered a few to see if I can use them for just the straight glue instead of having to thin it out with acetone. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $2 and I can use the bottles for other stuff.

One other thing... Most nail polish remover is acetone with a bunch of moisturizers, fragrances and other crap mixed in with it and the straight stuff can be hard to find. I painted some heads last night and it had thickened too much to go through the small-gauge needle on my bottle, so I tried to thin it out with nail polish remover I just bought. Something in the nail polish remover had a really bad reaction to the Duco and it turned into a lumpy gel. Ended up having to throw it out.

QPassage

I been using the go2 glue and it works really well. I also clear coat them after drying.
Here is yet another simple way to speed up eye installation.
Cardboard with slits make them about 1/2 inch taller than the jigs and you can take a tooth pick and flip the jig to the other side.
temporary-139.jpg
temporary-141.jpg

hookup

Nice tip.

I just started putting eyes on jigs.

Painting works easiest for me, but been playing around with the stick on eyes.

Dab of super glue get, eye on like the video on the home page shows (thx for that), then I always have old flex coat around from rod building (the epoxy you coat heads with) and mix a batch of that & paint on. Old flex coat takes forever to cure, but puts a nice coat on the jig & eyes.

And since eyes in small quantities are expensive from a place like Barlows, I found some real tiny rhinestones at Michaels . Pretty cool looking, but imho to much bling. Not a bling type, but they are cheap and they are different.

Not a technique if you're making a 100 jigs for the marketplace, but for a hobby, works.

Back