My first powder painting

StumpHunter

It's to late to turn back, I'm :jig: :D I didn't have but 25 unpainted jig so 12 are chart and 12 are pink and 1 melted :blush:
Yes, the first jig I heated I kept in the heat to long. Didn't take but once to get that right!! Here are some pics of after coated and after baked. Thanks Scott for getting my into powder paint, I'm going to like it ;)

Attachments

• powder paint 001.jpg
    powder paint 001.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 104
  • powder paint 009.jpg
    powder paint 009.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 104
  • powder paint 006.jpg
    powder paint 006.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 103

flatsrat76

Looking good
you know what they say, Once you go powder you don't go back

just ask Tony
scarface.jpg

ScottV

That's a good one Jeff! Ronnie maybe you can make a wobble jig out of the melted one. Ha! The others look good. I like your curing rack too. Great job! Now you need to get some eye droppers and try adding second colors and all that stuff. LOL

ScottV

Here's some I just painted and cured this morning. I used an eye dropper to shoot a little red on them after I had dipped them in the base color. I also used pliars to flatten out the "eye bump' on the minnow heads so I'll be able to put 3D eyes on.
f5430eeb.jpg

ragged edge

ScottV said:
Here's some I just painted and cured this morning. I used an eye dropper to shoot a little red on them after I had dipped them in the base color. I also used pliars to flatten out the "eye bump' on the minnow heads so I'll be able to put 3D eyes on.
f5430eeb.jpg

Scott, for one ever it is worth, I file down the protruded eye and sand smooth.......just saying

ragged edge

Stump, looks good. As you get more powder paint you will start experimenting with different colors and will be surprised as to what color you get. Some good and some not so good. That's the fun of it....

wtex

I use a very small paint brush to add additional colors. Some of my jigs are up to four colors. Takes a little practice but not too diffficult.

StumpHunter

It seems to never end!!! There is always something new to try and I look forward to using different colors on a jig.;) Powder paint looks good in pictures but WOW it looks great in person!

StumpHunter

ScottV said:
f5430eeb.jpg

Those are nice Scott, think I'll try that sooner or later!!;)

ScottV

Thanks Ronnie, I like to just play around with the two colors every once in a while, but most heads I powder paint are just one color.

StumpHunter

Do you heat the head a little before squirting the powder. Even with a brush do you need to reheat the head before adding the next color or does it stick to the first or base color. Lots of questions LOL

ScottV

StumpHunter said:
Do you heat the head a little before squirting the powder. Even with a brush do you need to reheat the head before adding the next color or does it stick to the first or base color. Lots of questions LOL

No, I usually heat my heads about 4 seconds on each side, quickly dip the eye of the hook in water, dip it in first color, and either sprinkle or squirt second color on. I then poke a wire through eye to clean it out and put it over the heat source for maybe 1 second for each side. My way, maybe not the right way. LOL

Back