My first attempt at a Sculpin Jig

Kdog

Looks very good to me. Nice tie. Looks a bit sparse compared to most sculpins I have seen but I think its gonna catch some fish when it goes swimming.

QPassage

Fatman said:
Nice tie - one thing on tying a fly pattern on a jig is have the hook point up when tying it

Ok, I'm going to bite and ask. Why the hook point up and how did you know I tied it with the hook down?

Fatman

When you tie the pattern for fly fishing the hook point rides down in the water as the materials are tied on top - but a jig is in reverse and the pattern looks upside down on a jig head when you fish it- just more natural.

Here's another example - the Jassid pattern on a jig hook. There's one really deep hole that I can't get the fly to fish right so I fish this small jig with the jassid pattern under a float.
100_4406.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Love it! The colors should match the mottled look of sculpins and gobies. Since they are usually bottom dwellers, i tend to make them darker...... and make extras because you will loose them trying to keep them down in the rocks.

.....hook point up and how did you know I tied it with the hook down.....

You don't necessarily have to tie it with the point up.... just make sure you know in your head that when it is tied on the end of your fishing pole and swimming in the water, that hook will be riding up. Rotary vise makes it nice since you can flip it and check how everything looks.

Bucko

Have you ever tried using the sculpin head for these? I forget the name of the company that makes them but I do know they are made in North Carolina. They are pretty sweet looking. Someone else here might know the company?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Bucko - I believe you are talking about Fish Skulls. Here is a picture i pulled from another site..... did not tie these myself..... I have used the original ones, but not any of the sculpin heads.

MS_3-Fly-Comparison-1024x649.jpg

Bucko said:
Have you ever tried using the sculpin head for these?....

QPassage

AtticaFish said:
Bucko - I believe you are talking about Fish Skulls. Here is a picture i pulled from another site..... did not tie these myself..... I have used the original ones, but not any of the sculpin heads.

MS_3-Fly-Comparison-1024x649.jpg

Bucko said:
Have you ever tried using the sculpin head for these?....

Nice looking. Are these heads weighted? Just wondering if they can be used as a jig or more for fly fishing.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
They do have some weight by their description in catalogs......... but not a lot. The 'large' sizes weighs 1/10 of an ounce. If you google image search sculpin head fly patterns there are a ton of ideas. I remember seeing somewhere one made with a 60° hook like a EC710.

saltyfeathers

Bucko, flymen fish company is the one, out of Brevard. Have uses their stuff but never in conjunction with a jighead

Back