My best painted jigs

JUNGLEJIM1

I finally got the crinkle paint figured out and have been painting some cool heads. Favorite so far are these 1/4 oz poison tails. The secret is after painting the jig will look black and when you cure the heads the colors the colors appear like magic, been curing mine at 300 even though it suggests 400 which I think is to hot and developed cone heads on a few.

Attachments

• IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

JUNGLEJIM1

I don't know if the fish like them better but I do. Painted a few hundred average jigs before I got it dialed in and now all I want to do is paint these heads. I have to be careful and make sure I have the paint cleaned out of the eyes really well before baking because paint is super hard after baking and if the eyes are clogged it's hard to get the paint out.

eddieb

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
I don't know if the fish like them better but I do. Painted a few hundred average jigs before I got it dialed in and now all I want to do is paint these heads. I have to be careful and make sure I have the paint cleaned out of the eyes really well before baking because paint is super hard after baking and if the eyes are clogged it's hard to get the paint out.

Those look realy good , I think they will work.

RockGeo

JJ1,

I love the look of those heads! Just having such a great color pattern would give me confidence that they would be a great fish catching lure.

Thanks for sharing!

EasyKasting

Your painted jig heads caught my eye!

Can you tell me more about how the crinkle paint process works to get that painting look?

Did you know:

There's an easy way to keep hook eyes open when you dip paint.

-- It stops paint from gunking the eyes.
--- You'll save time from heating a pin and poking the eye after curing (you won't have to!)
---- Your eyes will shimmer in the sun.

You can paint hundreds of jigs 10X's faster using what I know.
The time saved comes from not having to clean your hooks... You don't even have to touch them.

FIND OUT HOW when you answer my question (tell me you want the secret).

JUNGLEJIM1

I have a couple videos on you tube showing how I paint these, Check painting with crinkle powder paint. First dip in white or chartreuse for a base coat, brush tap one or two contrasting colors top and bottom then dip into crinkle paint last. Bake in oven at 325-350 for 15 minutes with heads up to prevent coneheads. I heat the head only once with a regular Bic lighter before dipping or brush tapping but last step is always into the crinkle paint. I've used up to seven colors on a jig but 2-3 colors will work fine to start. Head looks shiny black when finished and baking them brings out the other colors. IMG_2091.JPGIMG_2092.JPGIMG_2076.JPG

hookup

the trick to clean jig eyes

Since allot of the jigs I make are on smaller hooks, I clean the eyes before baking - allot easier. Have one of those hand eye cleaners that take of about 90% of the paint. They hit the eye with an old box cutter blade and scrap off the remaining 10%

Microbaits

Thanks guys. I am currently in the process of remodeling my work area. Since we had a water problem. I am anxious to finish soon. The key is to be organized and not have everything scattered about.

RockGeo

JungleJim, You may be interested in the following ice fishing lures; https://www.8mybait.com/collections/new-glass-fry. They are/were making several ice fishing jigs that have a crinkle paint finish and are then coated in epoxy to give them a "glass" look. I attached a couple of their photos. It appears that they are now "out of stock" at $8.49 a jig! A very expensive ice jig.

I hope that your recovery is going well.

Ice Jig 1.jpgIce Jig 2.jpg

fish49

I finally got the crinkle paint figured out and have been painting some cool heads. Favorite so far are these 1/4 oz poison tails. The secret is after painting the jig will look black and when you cure the heads the colors the colors appear like magic, been curing mine at 300 even though it suggests 400 which I think is to hot and developed cone heads on a few.
Love your jigs, they're very unique but having trouble finding the crinkle/wrinkle paint. Can you suggest a good source or two?

Thanks!

ArtIrish

Jim, Really enjoy the jigs you're making. I'm thinking about mixing some mica powders into clear powder paint before I apply the crinkle paint. How do you think that would work.

Back