My 1st Bluegill Jig

cadman

After much debating and custom color chasing I finally found all of my powder paints along with skirt colors to make my first bluegill jig. It came out better than I thought. What do you guys think?

bluegilllh.jpg 4.jpg

cadman

Hawnjigs said:
Looks good, but geez, how many skirt layers is that?

Hawn, that is 2-1/2 tabs which = 66 strands. I am going to thin it down to 55 strands. So some green will definitely come out along with a couple strands of yellow, orange, blue. I will see how in looks thinned out. When fishing for bass here, sometimes a really bushy skirt does the trick. Also a bushy skirt slows down the fall of a jig and also makes the jig move slower in the water. I'll see how it works in the water when I get a chance.
Actually a lot of the mop jigs we use here have 66+ strands of skirting material.

Thanks for the compliment guys.:D:D

cadman

oldfox said:
That is some purdy! :) What size jig head are you using?

That is a 3/8 oz. head. The smallest I can put all those colors on is an 1/8 oz.

Thanks for the compliment

Pup

That is a nice-looking jig. It has a great profile for big largemouth bass and I really like the colors.

cadman

papaperch said:
Cadman the jig looks fantastic but you don't actually fish for green carp do ya ?

Yes I do, used to be a walleye river man than switched over to a bass man. I don't think too many crappie would hit that jig, but you never know.

papaperch

In my wayward youth 16-20 or so . I was bitten by the green or bronze " carp bug ". If it was not a bass I would not fish for it. As kids we got permission to fish many a great private pond. Over that 5 year period our gang of three caught many impressive bass. We actually kept journal logs of every one of our trips. At end of period , military service ended our euphoria, we noticed we could just about predict best place to go with time and certain weather pattern.

We practiced catch and release 1. we were too lazy to clean fish. 2. It made it easier to get permission. 3. Bass are poor eating

So after return from service in 1973 I discovered I was hungry for FISH. So now I have been a dedicated panfisherman since then. Still enjoy a headshaking and waterwalking explosion from an annoyed smallie. But regardless of size its going to be released. I have had tournament guys ( during a tournament ) ask me what my secret is. I always reply they know I am not after them. Which I think is half true. I never fish for bass or cats but those are usually my biggest fish every year.

Your circumstance is a little unusual. Walleye fishermen don't usually chase after bass once they try eating one. But its all good that's why there are so many different fish. An old friend of mine ( now gone ) never fished for anything but bass. He sat down to a lake erie perch dinner at my house one night. Since that evening the only time he got back into his bass boat was to sell it. Till the day he died he was a perch fisherman. Funny isn't it how stuff like that happens.

I would be willing to bet you will catch crappie on that jig of yours. Largemouth of course will INHALE it but more crappie will jump on it than smallmouth in my opinion. Crappie can take some outlandish size baits at times. Bluegill are some of their favorite prey and they can poleax some big crankbaits when the time is right.

Anyway that jig is a winner.

Back