Musky Jigs...???...Does anyone tie them..???

LRB

This August I am heading back to Wisconsin to the St.Croix Rod Factory for a custom rod meet...and afterwards...a Musky Fishing Trip !!...:icon14:
I already started building a 6'6 M/H rod...but I need Musky Jigs...I never made one....just curious how many Jiggers on JC...tie Musky JIgs...???

Sure am looking forward to this trip !!...:icon14:

ML..:fishing:

Jig Man

wtex made that trip this past summer and a big time. Very informative and lots of water in the area... Have fun!

Jay Wirth

Tie as a standard bucktail on a head 5/8 and up. I like to add some flashabou and a stinger hook. Any head style works good though ball and flat are most typical.

I have a lot of jigs in stock if you dont have time to tie them.

Tight Lines,

Jay

hookup

I would recommend you build some hu-freak'n-mongus inlines

LedHed

Sponsor
Big bucktails maybe...

Let me know if you need some big jigs - have a bunch from my saltwater days.....

Kdog

I've made bunch of stand up jigs 1-2ounce and Banana Heads 1 ounce and 1-1/2ounce for some friends that musky fish and they tip them with 6" - 8" plastics and sometimes even larger. Those baits are often 4 ounces are more. On request, I tied some Huge Bucktails White with red collar on a 1-1/2 ounce bananna head made some with red flash in the tail. Used all of my really long bucktails but had some happy friends. All were tied with a trailing treble hook. What I remember most, was the jigs were 6" - 8" long when finished. Oh Yeah and how hard it was to really get that much bucktail to lock in, I solved most of the problem using 5 minute epoxy applied directly to the hair before wrapping, messy and time consuming but worked like a champ. Based on comments received, they worked very well - 3 guys, 1 week of fishing and 18 fish. Not my idea of fun.

This post got me to looking around and I found some tied musky jigs
http://www.jensenjigs.com/#!pauls-gallery-of-custom-ties/c795

I did see a bunch of huge spinner baits as well. Lots of what I see on the commercial side are big Bass swim jigs with silicone and flashabou tails.

Its an entirely different world fishing for Musky. I think I still have a few of the 12" Mepps spinners and big crankbaits from the 80's when I sought musky in the Upper and Lower Niagra Rivers. Heavy tackle and hours/days between fish that you are gonna release anyway.

Good luck.

Bucko

Inline bucktail spinners better than jigs. Nothing wrong with a shorter rod, but if you could muster it, i'd go with a seven six or an eight.

jiggerjohn

My ole buddy Red, of wool jig fame, came up with a muskie jig design last year for a few guys in his area. Unlike others who tie those unnecessary monster lures, Red merely took a 1/2 oz round head , tied on most of a hank of sparkly angel hair, and added a trailer treble with more angel hair tied on. Lots of flash and great action on any motion. His friends took them out and immediately got into fast action (for muskie fishing ), taking,I believe, 15 muskies (no monsters) in a short time. But they got to ENJOY this fishing without breaking arms on max heavy rods nor losing the feel of these nice fighters with anything other than medium spin gear.

LRB

jiggerjohn said:
My ole buddy Red, of wool jig fame, came up with a muskie jig design last year for a few guys in his area. Unlike others who tie those unnecessary monster lures, Red merely took a 1/2 oz round head , tied on most of a hank of sparkly angel hair, and added a trailer treble with more angel hair tied on. Lots of flash and great action on any motion. His friends took them out and immediately got into fast action (for muskie fishing ), taking,I believe, 15 muskies (no monsters) in a short time. But they got to ENJOY this fishing without breaking arms on max heavy rods nor losing the feel of these nice fighters with anything other than medium spin gear.

Thanks John....would love to take them along with me, on the trip !!...Sent you a email ...:icon14:

ML...

Back