Multi-Color Methods?

FuzzyGrub

Interested in hearing how people are appling their multi-colors. I did my 1st ones and tried an artist brush dip and twist above the jig, and salt shaker. Brush was OK, but wondering about other methods. ie non-air gun ones. ;)

Jig Man

Tried the salt shaker didn't for me... Gonna try the brush deal next. Done the dip method works ok for certain things.... I leave all things multicolor to Radtexan and Crappiehappy...

blt

I use cheap brushes the boss of the house gets me from Wallymartz in the toy/hobby section. Don't remember the name though, it's been a while since I got new ones. I tried the "artist" brushes that come to a point and didn't like those as much as the flatter ones. It does take practice.

Lost Pole

Fuzzy
Im not an expert but yeh just tap the brushes lightly after you have dabbed in powder. Some brushes "grab" powder better than others. Rotate the jig w/ hemostats and tap over it a diff angles to get more precision.
You just want your color to "stick" so that you can go back to your heat for the next color.
Been having a lot of luck blending with a light pearl base.
G'luck!

Adam

SaltyBuckster

I use them little model brushes.Been using the same couple for years.They stay good unless you touch a 4 oz. jig body with one,lol.

FuzzyGrub

I did use a variety fine and round type brushes. One style worked better with the finer protec paint, and another with the heavier HF paint. I was wondering if there were any other techniques, but it sounds like I just need more practice. ;)

Radtexan

Ledhed is your multi color man... Some of the guys do well with the brush,but it doesnt work well for me..Sonny has a dipping method that blends them better than most.

JUNGLEJIM1

I'm a cheap nylon brush tapper,getting 3-4 colors heating only one time. I've been doing it for a few years and have painted thousands with this method. Practice is key, the more you do the easier it becomes.

StumpHunter

I have used the dipping to add colors after the base color and it works good and I also like the brush tapping. Sure makes a nice looking jig with a few colors on a head. I still need many more hours practicing but I'm happy with the heads I end up with.

FuzzyGrub

Here are some examples of what I did. I think they are fine. As far as the re-dipping, I did try a couple with that, but was getting too much paint and positioning was an issue. Maybe its because I've got too use to the fluidbed and lost my skill at dipping.

MultiColorJigs.jpg

PS: Salty, I think I sent some multi-colors socket-eye jigs in that package, so you should be able to do a very good critique.

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx Rt but there are a lot of expert & prolific painters out there now.
Make up brushes are really good also. I like the artist's brushes - flat & camel hair.

FG - try varying the distance between the brush and the jig. Heat the jig up just enough for the paint to stick on the jig. Re-heat the jig for each color. You have to watch the paint as you reheat – try to keep it from shining – the paint will gloss when you cure it. Don't use a base coat

Like JJ1 said "practise". It really does get easier.

Good lookin jigs FG

blt

See, there are all different ways to do this and get the right end product. Some don't base coat, some do. Different brush types mentioned and so on. Bottom line is.....practice. I did see a good comment about brush height. That is something else you will have to learn what is best for you. The larger the area I paint, the higher I am above the jig, and more powder I use in the brush, then the opposite is true for me also. I got thick full brushes, and some cut down for smaller areas. There is nothing wrong with those jigs in your pics Bud.

It's funny, I have been using paint brushes for years, but never for what they were made for lol. I use to have brushes with 1 or 2 bristles on them of r painting eyebrows on the little people when I was doing model train layouts. Never could paint worth a crap lol.

LedHed

Sponsor
FG - you can probably lighten up your HF paint with clear paint. I don't use HF but have added clear powder paint (CSI & CC) with other problematic paint.
Lots of cool stuff out there;
cadman has some awesome blends
Jungle does a fire tigger clear blend
all those Texas boyz
many many more
How bout a powderpaint jig swap?????

FuzzyGrub

Ledhed,

Yea, these were all done on cured base coat. I haven't tried base coat, then adding color, before curing. I now have some clear, so can try that, along with some glitters.

Getting close to shutting the lead lab down for the season. I have plastics to do yet, and this lite winter probably means I can get started on my boat project sooner.

Fatman

Fuzzy mine were done on cured heads too. A couple of the ones I did were from bare jig heads and because I had shut down the fluid beds I dipped and those ones are the ones that came out with paint nipples on the nose. Course yesterday was the first time I've ever tried multi colors.

And as it has been noted LOL because I thought I had gotten good I gave the pony/horse heads a try... I can truthfully say no one else has one that looks like it LOL

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I tap it on as well - any brush i can find - some brushes seem to hold more powder so i tend to tap the brush back in the jar once or twice before i tap over the jig.

He!!, i can't dip into jars and can't seem to get the touch with the fluid bed either....... honestly would rather tap it on even if i was using a single color. Helps to let you know how much paint is actually getting on the head.

Have tried to do a complete coverage underbase before i add a 2nd color and end up with too much paint. Now i try my best to only have 1 layer of paint on the lead if i can. If it gets too thick - it will sag while it cures.

SaltyBuckster

I have found that if the jighead is the right temp,say 350 and you dip it into the jar you will only get a light coat of powder on it.Tap it on the side of the paint and it should only get a tiny bit shiney in areas.That is the perfect temp.Can't tell you what it is exactly,as my toaster oven says 375 preheated for 4 minutes set with a timer.I then take them out and dip,tap on side of jar and put it back in the oven.Do all the jigs,say 12 big ones,then one at a time do the second color right after I put the last one out of the dozen.Round two.Then round 3 if I'm still in the mood to paint,lol.Fuzzy your jigs look like they should,very nice.

Back