Monkey Milk

quivira kid

I've had two or three separate conversations this past week about a hand tied version of the plastic color "monkey milk"....... Anybody come up with a solution for that one yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redgun

quivira kid said:
I've had two or three separate conversations this past week about a hand tied version of the plastic color "monkey milk"....... Anybody come up with a solution for that one yet?

NOPE, I see no way to make a REAl monkey milk replacement in the form of a feather jig.

Skip_48 makes a glow jig using "softex" and glow-in-the-dark powder. I guess you could add blue pearl instead, but that wouldn't do anything for the tail??

Lost Pole

redgun said:
quivira kid said:

NOPE, I see no way to make a REAl monkey milk replacement in the form of a feather jig.

Skip_48 makes a glow jig using "softex" and glow-in-the-dark powder. I guess you could add blue pearl instead, but that wouldn't do anything for the tail??

Glow has nothing to do with the monkey milk I know. N Skip doesn't visit or exist on Jigcraft.

If it's the bobby garland monkey milk, variations of black n white work just as well.
I've found black n white pheasant feathers pinched with added white bou barbules will handle that color combo nicely.

quivira kid

Lost Pole said:
redgun said:
quivira kid said:

Glow has nothing to do with the monkey milk I know. N Skip doesn't visit or exist on Jigcraft.

If it's the bobby garland monkey milk, variations of black n white work just as well.
I've found black n white pheasant feathers pinched with added white bou barbules will handle that color combo nicely.

Thanks guys.
Yeah, the Bobby Garland MM is what I've got in mind...... I need to play with it some.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I looked up the Bobby Garland color......

Got to be a pearl/pepper head............

Then a pearl (or silver tinsel) chenille twisted up with a black cactus chenille..........

Tail of either white or dun with a black crystal flash.

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redgun

Lost Pole said:
Glow has nothing to do with the monkey milk I know.

Sorry, guess that came across wrong?...

Imho, the reason monkey milk might work better than plain white is the pearl blue shine it has. You could get some "softex", its like a clear, brushable rubber, add some blue pearl and maybe even some of the black glitter. Mix this up in the softex, and coat the body & head with the mixture.

It would be a LOT of work, but that would be the closest way to make the monkey milk color.

Short of that, a pearl pepper head, white body & tail and blue/black flash would get you pretty close, it just wouldn't have the multicolor "pearl shine".

moswampy

I picked up some light flashabou this week along with that chenille from CA I might get close. Only way to tell is tie a dozen and fish against my buddies who kill the slabs with bobby G

Len

Since "Monkey Milk" is considered white/black with a blueish tint these are what I have used and done real well. The 1/8th spinner I use for steelhead...maybe I should call them "Sour Milk"..
001_zpsfy0hxd5g.jpg

HairyMooseKnuckles

Len said:
Since "Monkey Milk" is considered white/black with a blueish tint these are what I have used and done real well. The 1/8th spinner I use for steelhead...maybe I should call them "Sour Milk"..
001_zpsfy0hxd5g.jpg

Those are nice, Len!!!!

Shoemoo

Might try mixing dubbing to get the bluish gray sheen instead of using chenille. SLF, Ice Dub and Sparkle Dub mixed with a white base like rabbit and some black Ice Dub could give you the color you want. I'd go with one of the light gray colors instead of actual blue.

AllenOK

I had an idea while at work today. How about tying in, say, one black ostrich herl, a couple white ostrich herls, and a light-blue ostrich herl. Then, twist/furl them together into something like chenille, and wrap the hook shank with that? You could do the same thing with marabou.

I might have to try this. Of course, I've never seen the original soft plastic in this color. No idea what I'm trying to imitate :)

quivira kid

Shoemoo said:
Might try mixing dubbing to get the bluish gray sheen instead of using chenille. SLF, Ice Dub and Sparkle Dub mixed with a white base like rabbit and some black Ice Dub could give you the color you want. I'd go with one of the light gray colors instead of actual blue.

I think this idea here might get it...... I can take off with that. Just gotta get a few things. I will try and post a pic if/when I get around to it! Thanks guys.

Back