mold problem

chill49

I was pouring some heads the other day and my mold started to have terrible flashing i have poured 1000's before with no problems. I have gotten down to lead from where my son works at the water dept. Does anyone have a clue if that could be the problem

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas

Charlie

LedHed

Sponsor
You'd be surprised how small a piece of lead will keep the mold from seating..

Check your hook slots.

redman

Chill I have posted this before but a piece of sandpaper on a flat block and every 100 pours or so pass the sandpaper over the face of the mold to take away and burrs or small nicks or pieces of lead that may collect on the mold. Had a friend that would take a painters foam sanding block and do his mold. You will be amazed at how well you mold will pour after doing this. I acts like it does the first day that you got it.

Redman

toadfrog

X2 I can't see worth squat without my quad focal glasses . Had a tiny piece of lead get stuck on the hinge end of the mold interface .Took me what seems like forever to figure out what was wrong . The speck might not seem like it will have any effect but the farther up the mold from the speck the worse the flash will be .

Hawnjigs

KISS
Usually the offending clingon is visible and accessible, but sometimes not. Even the hook eye slots might harbor a fugitive.

chill49

Thanks everyone I'll give a try this weekend to see if my bifocals are off never thought about it might be that simple. Will let you know how it turns out

redman

Chill I have a small custom mold very thin and I use a pair of pliers to hold it together. I have never put handles on it but it does have locator pins on it. I got a bunch of hooks that were bent at the bend on the hook that held the mold apart just enough to cause some serious flash. Drove me nuts so don't rule out any thing just work thur all the advice we give you. There is two ways to learn one is from our own mistakes, The other is from mistakes that others make. The latter is always the easier way to learn.

Redman

Bucko

I once had a bad box of hooks that the eyes made poorly and had to throw them out. drove me nuts thinking it was my mold... littlest deviation can throw it off.

JSC

XXX All of the above advice ... Been there done that (Still doing it).
Keep the face of the mold clean and watch those hooks (eye, bends, Wire Size).

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, hooks eyes, point legs, or shanks can have mfg defect sideways twist but its possible to bend em back to center straight ahead with pliers.

chill49

guys i thank you for your help just like you said i may need trifocals there was a micro size piece of lead hanging on. poured some this morning problem solved. I should of none because i didn't here that good sound when i closed the mold together. May need to check the hooks also still flashing around the eye
thanks again

Charlie

Back