Mixing glitter with powder paint

Muskygary

Just wondering if there's a formula for mixing glitter with powder paint. Want to be able to paint a jig with one dip. Two parts powder paint with one part glitter? What do you guys do?

toadfrog

I just pour a measuring cup with powder then add by 1/8 cups depending on how much glitter I wish to show . I have poured as much as 50/50 glitter and powder . If you want to be really technical weigh it out .

Radtexan

Clear powder paint with a color powder is much more important if your trying to add glitter to the mix.I get very little effect if using just a colored paint and glitter...I use somewhere between a 5-1 and 10-1 clear vs color and glitter around equal amount to the color... Does that make any sence ?

8-1 ratio is basically
2 tbs clear
1/4 tbs color paint
1/4 tbs glitter

Muskygary

Thanks guys, That's what I was looking for. I know it's a starting point and I'll have to tinker with the formula to get the look I want, but that helps a lot.

hookup

I'd dip in the primary color first, then the glitter next

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I would echo Radtexan in his ratio, 10:1 is pretty good in general. But, have never had luck doing a single dip and it picking up much glitter. For my own mixes that have glitter in them, i tap them on with a brush. Possibly has to do with the way i dip in powder though since i only like to have head hot enough for the powder to stick and NOT gloss over right away.

Does anyone else have trouble getting glitter to stick if they are dipping into a paint jar, or is it just me??

LedHed

Sponsor
I add glitter to PP (opaque & translucent) and use a brush more than dip - especially with powder paint that has glitter.

Russ are you using a fluid bed?

Pup

My experience has been strictly dipping. Though, I may attempt tapping glitter/glitter-clear mixture at some point.

My mixtures are small. A tablespoon or two of clear and glitter in a 1:1 ratio. They are very dense. What I've found is that when I 'dip', there's often a small area on the jig head that is somewhat devoid of glitter. I believe it's because when I 'dip', I'm actually making a c-shaped swish though the medium. I'm not moving the jig head vertically. As I swish through the mixture, the jig is cooling and less of the glitter attaches to the head and gets pushed away. That's my theory anyway...

This is a very good thread. :cool:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pup - Don't think my mixes have near as much glitter as what you say yours do, that could be some of my trouble. Have always liked tapping it on so i could see how much was going on.

LedHed - I have tried the fluid bed but never got along well with it. I had pretty much given up dipping AT ALL in either a jar or fluid bed for awhile until learning to keep the temp of the head low. I was heating them way too hot and picking up too much paint no matter how fast i dipped. Dipping works much better with a lower head temp, but regular size glitter does not stick very well to the head at a lower heat.

Pup

AtticaFish said:
Pup - Don't think my mixes have near as much glitter as what you say yours do, that could be some of my trouble. Have always liked tapping it on so i could see how much was going on.

AF,

I have no trouble getting extra fine glitter to stick to my jig heads with that ratio. I like the way yours have always looked :cool: and aspire to paint your way in the future. :icon14:

Speaking of lower curing temperatures (e.g. 325 degrees), my paints chip more easily when I cure below their recommended temperatures. Though, the added glitter mixture remains flashy.

Almost always, I seem to lose glitter mixture flash at temperatures higher than 325 degrees, no matter the glitter's size (regular, fine, extra fine, etc.). :(

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pup - I actually do not cure any of my heads below 350°. I had the same problem with the paint chipping too easily. I now gradually heat the heads up to the final cure temp (just below 350°) and then set my timer..... actual time they are 'in the oven' is way longer than the manufacture suggestion.

Have only had 1 type of glitter that ever melted or curled during the cure at 350° and got rid of that whole glitter shaker. Sorry, not much help with why you would loose the reflection out of the glitter unless the clear coat is making it appear duller?

In my last post, i was referring to how hot the heads are before dipping into the paint. If they are too hot, it makes too thick a layer of paint. Too cold and no paint sticks. Just barley warm....... only a thin dust coat sticks and does not gloss over until it gets back over the heat. Took me a while to figure out when my porridge was just right.

Pup said:
...Speaking of lower curing temperatures (e.g. 325 degrees)...

Pup

Thanks for your additional info AF. :cool:

I've found some recent success with dips of extra fine glitter/clear mixture cured at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. :) Plan to fish those jigs to see if they chip (and catch fish ;) ) and to experiment more with glitter of all sizes in the future.

smalljaw

I messed with it a lot of different ways, in fact I got so sick of it I stopped using it but now things have gotten better. I was using the colored stuff like copperhead and watermelon/red flake and using a fluid bed is a no-no, I heard people say they use them but no one that has ever showed me their work or how they did it. Anyway, the fluid bed would make the jig end up with a load of glitter on one spot, it didn't float up and suspend in the paint, instead it fall to one level and the top of the jig would hit it and it looked horrible. I tried tapping it on and this was the best way but it took long so I figured out another way. I take my jar and I only have it filled half way with the paint, I give it a really good shake and dip my jig quickly, I can do 3 jigs but then you have to shake it again. For the pre mixed glitter with clear, well that stuff makes me made, because I can never get it dense enough but I can get it to be fairly even so now I mix my own. I use a 5:1 ratio of clear to extra fine glitter for a really dense glitter effect that I'm going to tap on, for dipping I use a 10:1 ratio of clear to glitter and remember, 10 parts clear to 1 part glitter and shake it really good before you dip, I noticed certain glitters I may have to go with 1.5 parts per 10 and that usually works.

Back