Mid summer trout and ultra shallow water

bombora

Hiya, ducked up to the wild river on the other side of the mountains west of Sydney yesterday. Needed to escape as the coast here is just constantly bombarded by 6-8ft swell, 20-30 knot onshore winds and rain, rain and more rain this summer. Every estuary, bay and coastal lagoon and even the Harbour is chocolate brown. Thanks La Nina!
The river was very different to my last visit at the beginning of summer two months ago. Water was low, warm and slimey weed covered the bottom in most places.
The pools which were chocka full of rainbows last visit where dead. Did not spot one trout or get one follow in any pool.
Then I remembered reading to try shallow oxygenated runs and riffles, preferably with some shade, when water is warm.
First fish was this fat and fit 18 inch rainbow:
View attachment 4
It came from the riffle/run up past the overhanging logs and the dead midstream bush in this pic:
View attachment 5
Needed a backhand low cast between the overhanging logs and the dead midstream bush and was blast of a fight trying to keep the muscular fish away from snags and logs in tight water.
The only other rainbow I scored was this 16.5inch fish, but it was a trully thrilling fight:
View attachment 6
The fish hit in a super shallow run then went berko. It charged off down the run in water so shallow its back and top of tail was out of the water. Kicked up spray with its tail like an outboard leg raised to high!!! Was weaving between six inch gaps in the pebbles! How can a fish jump when its in water so shallow it's half dry????
Then it got to a pool and went under a big submerged log and out the other side on the surface. Nasty feeling of line rubbing wood but the 3 pound Crystal Fireline and four pound flouro leader held. Managed to steer the fish back under the log and finally to my feet.
Someone must be drip feeding performance enhancing drugs into this river, as the trout have a big reputation for going hard and long, and they do. Maybe their Californian steelhead origins?
The successful jigs: 1/32nd darter/minnow head and approx 1/36th-1/38th bugeyes:
View attachment 7
View attachment 8
Had a bit of a scare, and a lesson at the end of the day. Had walked too far up and it got dark, and I mean pitch black with more than a mile to get back to the track leading to my car. There are no real tracks beside this river, just the odd wombat trail through thick waist high brush which are scattered with leg breaking wombat burrows. The track back to the car is easy to miss, even in daylight. Got a tad worried at one stage; no mobile coverage, no one for miles. Ended up stumbling in the river, nipple deep in some spots, for half a mile in the blackness, rather than risk busting a leg on the land. Tripped a few times, swore to myself a lot. Huge relief when spotted a telltale cliff just before the track.

Attachments

• 46rainbow.JPG
    46rainbow.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 130
  • closeshallowrun.JPG
    closeshallowrun.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 129
  • bugeyebowfull.JPG
    bugeyebowfull.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 132
  • bugeye36.JPG
    bugeye36.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 129
  • bugeyebowclose.JPG
    bugeyebowclose.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 131

Hawnjigs

KISS
Those fish look well fed and healthy, and fat = feisty in my limited experience. Sounds like your two displayed trout's best qualities - epic runs, leaps, and structure digs. Great pics, that certainly looks like wild country.

Sounds like you tapped into your inner survivor - congrats on staying alive!

bombora

Thanks guys. First time I've ever wet waded. Was soaked to the armpits and lucky the water was warm. Kept thinking of how our snakes are as agile in water as on land and that some night hunt frogs. I have good night vision but could hardly see my hand in front of my face. Suddenly all your senses crank up to hyper!!!
Hawn these pair of fish were just insane. As you say, they did it all. If I was hooked on stream fishing now I'm double-scoop-with-a-cherry-on-top hooked on shallow water stream fishing!!!!! And this river has a rep for strong solid fish. It's surrounded by wilderness so maybe just masses of food for them, and no competition either. Would carp compete for food??

Shoemoo

If your phone has a flash, you might be able to use it for a flashlight. There are flashlight apps for just about every smartphone, and some regular phones also have the capability.

If your phone doesn't have a flash, look into getting a Panther Vision hat. They have LEDs built into the brim. I'm sure someone must sell them over there.

toadfrog

I think I've caught one trout in my entire life . I have to travel 100 miles to fish water that has enough to catch . They sure are a sweet looking fish . I like the looks of that jig .

Hawnjigs

KISS
One of the best things about trout fishing is the opportunity to experience wild places. The cool upland air, smell of the forest - pockets of quiet aloneness even in urban areas. Exception would be SNAKES!

100 miles ain't far Toad. I travel 4,000 for trout, and memories of the last and anticipation of the next vacation helps keep overworked grouchy old fartitis from becoming terminal. Once is not enuf!

bombora

Toad I gotta drive 100miles plus to get to trout too! Hawn must have the record though at 4000 miles!!! But it's such a different environment to the coast it's worth it.
Guys in my idiocy and keeness to get up the river with limited time I had also forgotten my torch and mobile (no coverage in the isolated area but it has a flashlight function). Even forgot the compression bandages which are considered a must if tramping beside rivers here as the best way to limit poison spreading through body if you get bitten. Dumb. Lesson learnt.

bombora

Hawn, guys have been bitten though their waders here. Specially breathable ones. Lots of fishos wear gators or some other protection from ankle to knee over their waders.
Lots of stories of guys staying dead still in the water observing a trout's movements only to see a Joe Blake swimming towards them, thinking they are a convenient tree to climb!!!
J the trout jigs you've tied would go off on the "wild river"!!!! And yep the last one was hooked good, really slammed the jig _ I suppose cause it was rocketing past in the fast water. A reaction bite??
I love the secure hookups a single jig hook gets, these wild river rainbows are special and just seem to be all muscle and go so hard. I also like that singles do far less damage than a treble on small fish.

bombora

More heavy rain here. Just looked at the online river height chart and the wild river rose four feet in an hour. Late last year it rose 12 feet in less than an hour, then back down within another hour.
This river has a reputation for flash floods because of the gorge country it flows through. Killed a LOT of Chinese gold prospectors during local gold rush in mid 1800s.
Just very happy river didn't do something like that when I got stupidly caught by the darkness as the rain came down.
Oh yes, "fartitis" :D.

bombora

More bloody rain. Once in 160 year rain. The wild river rose 26 feet in six hours yesterday! It's still 16 feet above when I last fished it. Somehow I think the snags will have changed.

JUNGLEJIM1

I hope we get some here soon. Rivers that I want to fish are six feet lower than last year at this time when the fish were really biting. We don't get the rapid rises like in your area. It will take several inches at least in a short period of time to get the river up where I want it.

Back