Matzuo

JUNGLEJIM1

I heard they filed bankruptcy and the hooks are going to be scarce for awhile. Heard this from two retailers so far. Might be time to switch over to the lil nasty Eagle claw sickles. Might start checking prices since I'm low on some sizes. What do you think about this? I'm not surprised with the way they operate, but I really like them for crappie.

hookup

I had 12 Lil Nastie hooks out of a bag of 100 defective. Never had that many bad ones in one bag

LedHed

Sponsor
Prices are going up for the ECs, hope the quality control doesn't go down. I haven't got a bad hook yet and I have poured a lot of #6 - mostly BC. This will be my 3rd season with the ECs...

hookup

Led - this bad package was #6's

Prices are better for the Lil nasties than the Matzuo

This was my first bad batch of bad one

I like the Lil nasties because they are made in the USofA but because of this thread, just stocked up on the Matzuo's

Hawnjigs

KISS
Bye bye - crap shoot quality control and worst customer service in the bizness.

Lil Nasties are sharper than EC 570 for a cheap crappie jig hook where mediocre wire strength isn't an issue. Some off center twisters in my last batches of LN #4 & #2, but very few throwaways.

hookup

for a cheap crappie jig hook where mediocre wire strength isn't an issue

Not sure I'll agree with you on that one. I've hauled in pig smallies, pike, 'eyes, and dinner plate sized panfish on the lil nasties. But I also throw a bigger hook than's mentioned here

Hawnjigs

KISS
Just my experience comparing with favored Mustad Ultra Point (discontinued) and Gamakatsu light wires.

Its possible to land big or robust fighting fish on softer wire hooks, but I prefer to avoid that challenge.

Locals here still use bronze EC 570 jigs and I've witnessed a few battles ending in bend outs.

hookup

You  said the magic work that I avoid Hawn - bronze.  

Gammy 114's are my favorite, but they aint cheap.  Thin wire, strong as you know what until they bend.  Then they get replaced and the lead recycled

I donate allot to conservation and military fishing type groups, so the lil nasties are ideal - and usually unique to the people who get them

I do fish one hook that's an aberration of everything I believe in - that's the VMC Barbarian - like driving a 10 penny nail, but once they are hooked up, its rare the fish spits the hook.  

Owners are awesome but expensive and rust when they get close to water

jackie53

not trying to sell or bash a company Pour a lot of 4 and 6.Pour my own jig's because I cannot buy what I need.really liked the matzou hooks,for our trout waters.did not like the quality,switched to the lill nastys,sharp and a good hook for the price,starting to see the hook eyes not closed all the way.Use a lot of 2 and 4 lb test line not good,Tried some of Barlows tackle Sohumi Hooks,Really like these hooks not cheap,but a good quality hook,side by side look just like a mustad hook.but cheaper a lot cheaper especially  the black nickle.Just ordered some # 8 to pour 1/48 and 1/64 oz jigheads.Might give theses a look.My two cents for what it is worth.Hooks have gotten high,to high!!

duffy

I don't sell commercially and just make stuff for my own use and for family & friends so I don't go through as many as most on here and only order 100 at a time. That being said the first Matzu's I ordered in #4 through 2/0 had allot of breakage issues and open or twisted eye's. If you grabbed the eye with a forceps or even your fingers and gave a bit of a twist they would break like glass. I checked the whole batch an probably tossed 10+ in each size. Tried some of the lilNastys and so far so good. Did find a few that they eye wasn't closed and one the other day one that was bent wrong but easily fixed. Far less defects with them so far. I have a mixture of old Mustads from years back and really can't remember ever having these kind problems with them. Just my 2 cents.

Back