Made an observation

Kdog

Went fishing this am and caught some dinks but nothing worth bringing home. I was trying to catch some crappie with a 1/48 Chartruese and white jig. Had good water clarity so was able to observe the fish, 3"-5" bluegill.

They were attacking the jig from the side (Chartruese Chenille with silver strands) after about 10 attacks, I pulled the jig and trimmed the tail off to a nub and started playing with them again. All they were doing was nipping at the chenille but they kept attacking from the side. I got bored and went back to fishing but noticed pretty much the same activity farther out over a brush pile. I changed over to a 1/100 oz #10 hook with a silver flash tail and chartreuse thread body. First cast, Bobber just disappeared. Set the hook expecting a dink and almost lost my rod. 11" crappie (I know some may call that a dink but in my area, over 10" is a good one and Fish Ohio Award is for 13". Over the next half hour, I pulled 5 more before loosing the jig.

Had another similar jig and before casting it out tried the babies at the shoreline. They still hit from the side but this time they werent nipping. Its kinda neat catching a 3" fish on a 1/2" jig...

Jig Man

Excellent observation. Like you if I'm missing bites, short strikes, I down size and usually fixes the problem.

hookup

When I make jigs, I keep the tail long so that the user can trim to their desire.

Typically, I trim them to a 1/4" below the bend of the hook.

Back