Lure action speaks loudest as does lure shape - even small differences make a difference

SPOONMINNOW

As you may all know from reading my posts and seeing photographic proof of my ideas, fish strike a huge variety of lure shapes and actions. Some are more apt to be struck and those are what I'm on a quest to discover. I've posted about mini-sticks working for most freshwater species but included another shape that's a bit apart from the smooth stick shape: cone tails on both ends.

Cone tail sticks are made by attaching one or two ends of pointed tail sticks to a plastic worm or grub body segment using a candle flame to them together.
The action is different than that of a thin mini-stick seeing as how only the pointed tips twitch and the body segment appears to have more meat on the hook.
thin mini stick bass, catfish and sunfish:
MZMRiTc.jpg U1y4tCH.jpgITEAQBs.jpg JTBIkpC.jpgpwp5oYE.jpg

Mini-sticks can be rigged on a small jig from either end. Cone tails such as these can't:
c4CO2So.jpg5D3tULz.jpgIldFDdP.jpg5RkgQ3Q.jpgaqRyKXR.jpg
The above cone tails have a jerk bait type darting action when twitched horizontal to the bottom, whereas the double-cone tip lure twitched in place displays dual-tip twitches:
viioeLF.jpgTNmEzTD.jpgJeVlYOU.jpgStMpS8q.jpg
Note the clear plastic.

When it comes to cone tails, they don't have to be short and stubby, but there is still a significant difference in action to the thin min-stick:
ViT6FQT.jpg

The above examples that have never been on any tackle store shelves or in catalogs are what non-lure crafter anglers run out to buy when introduced the first time. Anglers always hope to find that one great design that will put fish on the stringer every time they fish, but lure craft has proven that there is no such thing but that even small differences in design and lure action can make a lure superior to many others in unique ways. This forum site is unique in that we all experience the same fascination when catching fish on lures we create, knowing that little things can make a big difference.

Last edited:

jiggerjohn

These twitchy little fatties are water pushers for sure! And perfect for the super effective wacky rigging, but with our favored light jig heads. I well remember casting one from a pier on Lake Erie, waiting during the slow drop as son and grandson chuckled at this odd set up, only to feel a twitch at bottom which proved to be our biggest chunk crappie of the trip !

SPOONMINNOW

It's so nice John to have over a dozen different lures to choose from that are equally capable of catching fish. Light jigs are key.

Back