Lt. Wt. Dropper Blades

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hammered out a few blades this past week.... yeah, i literally hammered them out! :D Not the finish of a true 'hammered' blade, tried to get that look as well and just couldn't get it to work, they looked better smooth.

These very light weight spoon droppers are mostly planned for ice fishing, but do work on open water also. The blade is an attractor to draw fish in and they will have a small jig tied a few inches below that will be baited.

Now, for what i actualy did - bear with me. These are made from scrap pieces of .030 gauge brass and aluminum from work. The brass and alum. is originaly used for making trophy plates and award plaques. Cut to size then punched holes in top and bottom. I made up a design on the hpgl plotter software to get a rough shape and also added the scale markings. :cool: Etched it into the surface using the egraving machines diamond bit and then used oxidation solution to blacken the engraving.
101_3926_e.jpg

Cut the plates on the metal shears to a general hexagon shape... bagged them up and brought them home. I used a file to round off the ends and sharp corners. Used the concave handle of an old scraper i found to hammer out the shape with a small round-ended wooden dowel and hammer. Had to go slow to keep it from getting bent marks and scratching up the bright finish of the metal.
101_3927_e.jpg

Final result turned out pretty good. These are very light weight and have the possibility of bending out if i hooked into a very large fish (don't think they would break) but they really cost me nothing except time. ;) Tested them out in my pond and they have alot of flutter action on the fall.

Oh yeah... i did paint a few also!!! :D

Brass blades - 1.5" long:
101_3937_e.jpg

Brass blades - 1.125" long:
101_3942_e.jpg

Aluminum blades - 1.5" long:
101_3947_e.jpg

JSC

Looks Great ..

By the way that Powder Paint can get to you ... good job with the paint as well

toadfrog

Way cool . Punched some out once . Didn't look near that good and had a lot of touch up on the edges .

upnort16

Very nicely done! Excellent detail, colors and design. I know for a fact those would work very nice under the ice. Be more than happy to feild, errr, ice test them for you! lol!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone! These are pretty fun to watch go from sheet metal to finished product.

Ron Don: Oh no... not yet! Still have a few odd jobs i need to take on.

Jig Man & CrappieHappy: Since these have plans for on the ice, most will not get treble hooks. Heavy gloves and trebles don't mix well in my experience. I might have to try drifting some with trebles next season in a reservoir though.

JSC & Radtexan: Yes, the painting is perhaps as addictive as any other part of the creation process! Most of these were done with candy mixes to let the scale pattern show.

Hawnjigs: I love to see what i can create with whats in front of me - always thinking of a new way. Good price on the blank blades.... but don't think i would use the min. order of 500 in my lifetime! :p

LedHed: No social life = lots of free time. My agenda for most days is... family, work, and house chores and the rest is my time to tinker. Me and the wife are 1 step from being hermits. ;)

Fatman: Yeah, some of my fabrication tools & materials aren't in everyones shop. I have 'borrowed' so much scrap metal sheeting from work for things around the house and it hasn't put a dent.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't know how many times I thought I had a lifetime's supply and ran out in a coupla years. Annoying when the item was discontinued and no longer available.

On the other hand, my legacy will include a massive stash of jig hooks, hopefully antique by then.

Fatman

Attica

You can get less than minimum order. Colorado 2 nickle spinner blade Cat cost $18.13 per 1000. Price for 100 would be $1.81 plus $1.00 for being under the 500 piece minimum. Cost $2.81. If you go this route make sure to place your order by phone.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up Fatman, may have to go back over there and look through what all they have.

Hawn - My legacy just might be a heap of split shot heads crimped on any number of various hooks and some newly added pounded out sheet metal. :p I have one heck of a cluster f^$% of odd ball homemade fishing gear.

Back