LP 08/18/2012

baitmaster

Went fishing with meal worm and Tim (non-JC.C member) The water was 78-80 degrees and the air was hot at 99 degrees. We fished tire reefs and some shallow water with not much success, so we headed to mealworms new favorite deep water hole. We fishing what is known at the Canyon in 40-58 ft of water. Kept 14 total fish between the 3 of us. Tim landed his new personal best BG, 10" at probably 1.5 pounds (we didn't put it on the scale). Mealworm landed a slab over 11" long and right at 2 pounds. Another shad or 2 and that fish would have made it on the trophy wall. Jim only mount the ones that are over 2.25 pounds.
View attachment 7
Tims new PB
View attachment 6
The 2 pounder
View attachment 8
Happy mealworm!

Attachments

• The Big 2.JPG
    The Big 2.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 111
  • Tim PB.JPG
    Tim PB.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Jim.JPG
    Jim.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 110

JUNGLEJIM1

I love seeing pictures of those Perris gills,incredible how wide and thick they are. I think he showed me that spot last year when I was out there but we didn't fish it because we were finished for the day.Marked a lot of fish on the locater. Mealworm has some high standards for a wall mount and he's caught enough of them. For me, my standards aren't as high and would have had it mounted. What were they caught on ? Hopefully,I'll get a chance to fish with you when I come out there next month.

baitmaster

jj,
The fish were caught on jigs tipped with crickets. I think Jim had on a tan head/red hard body/ Silver tail jig. And yes, he certainly has higher standards that I do to. If it had been my fish, I would have put in on the wall. He has a 2-1/4 pound minimum that he sticks to.

I am not sure if he has added a fish to the wall since your last trip, so here is a recent pic. The fish range from 11" to12-1/2". For reference, the dymamite on the "Redneck Fish Finder" is 4-1/2" long.

Let me know when you come out, I would love to hang a few fish with ya!

View attachment 6

Attachments

• Wall of Glory.JPG
    Wall of Glory.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 77

JUNGLEJIM1

Was he able to release the fish successfully catching it that deep? Just curious,it might add a couple ounces by the time I get there in three weeks. I can't remember if he had 9 or 10 on the wall last year. Who tied the jig?I want one of those,just one.

baitmaster

JJ,
The BG hit the jig on the drop soon after the jig hit the water, so it was not actually a deep water catch. Unfortunately, the BG pretty much ingested the jig and there was no recovering the jig. Since we feared the BG was going to die anyways, we kept the fish. But, have no fear......Jim recently released another fish that was right at 2# also.

The jig was one of mine! Jim doesn't know it yet, but I took the rest of them out of his box!

JUNGLEJIM1

He has some of mine,wonder if he's ever used any yet. Wonder if he'll notice the missing one's. Probably when he loses the other one.

BGman

baitmaster, Nice going you guys. I've been on a spoon kick at Perris, haven't fished jigs in a while. Hey who is the taxidermist that Jim uses?

baitmaster

Fatman
Here is a pic of the jig he used. Looking at it, it must be one of my first jigs. The eyes are painted, the body is wrapped too far into the hook gap, and the tail is uneven. Just goes to show ya, it is not always the perfect jig that lands the fish.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345774807.716901.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345774807.716901.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 31

Fatman

BM

Nice looking jig!!! Have a lot of "to do's" for tying but with the grand daughter here I try not to get the stuff out. Got a bunch of lead pouring to do to!!

Back