Low memory line

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Need to get my ice rods re-spooled.

In the past i have used pretty cheap a$$ mono for both my spinning/open water rods and ice rods. A little memory in the line has never been too much an issue with the normal spinning gear but is a problem with some of the tiny tiny jigs i use on the ice. The loops in the line will just not straighten out with such light weight tackle.

Wondering what anyone else uses. My ice rods all have UL sized spinning reels on them and like to use pretty light line, 2-4lb and no heavier than 6lb. Was looking at the 2lb. Crystal Fused line today.... the $15 sticker scared me away tho. :rolleyes: Anyone use this or suggest any other low memory line?

Looks like the new trend is using a straight through fly style reel on an ice rod and they claim little to no memory.

quivira kid

I'm thinking about trying a fly reel on an ice rod, but I don't know...

I picked up a few different "ice" lines last year, but I haven't used them all enough to offer an opinion yet. I've tried some 6lb Spiderwire on a spoon rod and HATED it! It doesn't react the same in a spring bobber as other lines and isn't near as limp. For now, regular old 2lb Trilene XL in the red package is what I use.

papaperch

I observed on a camera that fish are most turned off by a spinning bait. Nothing in nature just sits in one spot and spins. Fish know this instinctively and avoid spinning offerings. I use power pro as my main line and use a seagaur as a leader. usually 4- 6 ft of it. Now my offerings never spin. Line is the most important component in ice fishing. Using the wrong type of line will negate even the finest rod and reel.

Ice fishing demands this kind of observation and detail. That"s why a highly successful ice fisherman can catch fish anywhere. Once this forum get really going even the fellas that don't fish on the hard stuff will still pick up info helpful to all.

Keep in mind the fish being cold-blooded are slowed down as their metabolism has lowered. Also keep in mind that the fish has a longer frame of time to inspect your offering with a jaundiced eye. Watching them on a camera has taught me that I will never be an expert. Sometimes a little speed adjustment makes a difference between a bad day and a great day.

I was told by "experts" for years never to use colored line as a leader. I have used red and gold line and have had success with both colors. I still prefer flourocarbon line as a leader . So I guess even when you prove that certain advice is in err. It still builds a bias in you.

Uncle Grump

Russ

I use Berkly mono - forget the specific variant - but it's a deep dark blue, and super limp (a ice line - "Micro Ice" maybe). On my panfish rods, I use 3# test, on my so called "walleye" rods, I step up to 6#. I will try to eyeball a spool of it tonight and post the name....

+1 on what Papaperch says about spinning....a definite no-no - and spinning reels are a major contributor. Quivira's idea on using a fly reel has merit...

I have to say I've watched fish come in to a motionless jig/bait, and totally scatter when the bait moved (jigged).

UG

Lost Pole

I use 10-2 high vis power pro, no leader, but I know nada about ice fishing. I mostly vertical jig laydowns. Sometimes I think I can feel fish breathing on my line. Use to fish clear 6 lb mono and I've noticed a big increase in my catch. Just had to relearn how to set the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatAlk

Lost Pole

I use a BnM plastic "line minder" reel now. Used to use a fly reel Bf it got "lost" pole.

SaltyBuckster

All the guys around here are really big on Suffix.Ice rods are spooled with it and all my small stuff is Suffix 4 or 6 lb. now.They said the same thing that Papa did about jigs spinning at the bottom of an ice hole.

Lost Pole

Yessiree mr happy. No stretch when it comes to braid. Add a sickle and it can set through even an alligator hide quite easily. Dunno how I know that.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
So most use mono... hmm. Guess i'll have to play with some different options this year on type i use. Totaly agree about the spinning bait too, i don't have (yet) an underwater video system but have been in a few guys shanties who do. Yes - the line curl acts like a corkscrew - not good. Last season i started using leaders with swivels attached if i was fishing anything over 8 FOW to help with twist, but it does not eliminate the corkscrew effect.

UG - it is already starting up. Remember reading or seeing a little blurb about it last year and there is another mention about it in this years In-Fish ice special issue. Frabil has a combo - http://www.frabill.com/rods-reels/combos/straight-line.html A few other spinning combos have an 'over-sized' spool to help with line curl as well. I only have one fly rod/reel (5wt) and the reel would be pretty over-sized for a little shorty ice rod..... i think. May just give it a shot anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions!

SaltyBuckster

In used to use old Mitchell 308's or 310's bcause of the big spool.If you can handle not closing the bail with your fingers or the clicking,that is my choice.I still have a 308 that I used as a kid and still use it today.That will be my ice reel.

oldfox

For the last 3 years I have been using Fireline Micro Ice with a 5 - 6 foot Trilene Micro Ice leader...seems to be the best combo I have found yet. Reels are all Tica Cetus GV500's, smooth and strong.. Should I fish for pike or other toothy critters, I change the leader to Seaguar Fluorocarbon..

spotail

For light presentations in both shallow and deeper waters I like to use 2lb. Fireline Micro Ice Crystal. For me, 3lb. still leaves coils in the line with the small jigs that I use. I switched from two-pound mono last year because I got sick of breaking off when I was on a school of panfish. No leader, just the braid directly to jig. I also like the increased sensitivity the braid provides. I use an ultra light bro series combo from frabil and can feel the fish bite in the palm of my hand. When I am fishing I usually bring a second jig rod with mono and switch on and off, but I like the little bro rod with braid the best!

Back