Lovin the New Mold!

Pepop

I'm really liking the Shad Dart profile! Tied a couple this evening to try out tomorrow. Anxious to see how they act in the water.
My "GO-TO" Combo
full-39371-9559-imag1535.jpg
then this'n good when they're leavin the bed's
full-39371-9560-imag1809.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Is that the Lil Mac 1/8? I hope they dart for you, my Do-its don't side to side altho they vertical hop & jiggle pretty good.

toadfrog

Ya know I always liked that profile . Even tried to sell them early on . For. Some reason they just. Never were popular in oklahoma. Cool thing you can do is put one 3d eye on the flat . Looks kinda like cyclops. Post it if you catch any ima watching .

Hawnjigs

KISS
Most of the shad dart pics posted online have skinny ties. Stump, do your jigs actually dart?

Off the subject, but my friend Dwight says his 3rd eye is always open after his combat experience back in the late 60s.

Pepop

Went today & kept these
imagejpg1_zps1d657864.jpg
A few came off the Pearl/Truse but most bit this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kdog

Finally, gonna get to see some creativity on Darts! For months I have been trying to snag a Dart mold on Ebay but have not succeeded. However, I have looked at various color combos and see very little creativity and even less with respect to eyes. I just looked at over 1000 Shad Dart pics and 11 had eyes of some sort.

When I get the time, I will post a ss of dart color combos. But no time for a while.

JUNGLEJIM1

The dart head is perfect for using duck flank feathers. Years ago I bought a 1/32-1/64 dart mold, poured several hundred heads and since I couldn't figure out what to tie with them sold it on e bay. Finally tied a few ducks with them and murdered crappie and gills with them. Ended up buying two dart molds with different heads, one long and one shorter and fatter head. The 1/32 on the fat head weighs 1/24, in fact all weights run heavier on this older Do it mold. Wool and kiptail tied thin with a few strands of flash will put fish in the boat or on the bank any time of year. One thing I haven't tried with darts is the Cyclops dart, think it would work great with a glow or fluorescent eye. Nice looking ties, you'll get bit with those.

Hawnjigs

KISS
JJ1, is there a performance difference between the two dart styles, say, comparing the 1/32? Do you have a preference?

I've only had the opportunity to try one head, the 1/8 fatty, and it did work fine for trout.

Pepop

Kdog said:
Finally, gonna get to see some creativity on Darts! For months I have been trying to snag a Dart mold on Ebay but have not succeeded. However, I have looked at various color combos and see very little creativity and even less with respect to eyes. I just looked at over 1000 Shad Dart pics and 11 had eyes of some sort.

When I get the time, I will post a ss of dart color combos. But no time for a while.

Kdog's, I got mine here...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk....XShad+dart&_nkw=Shad+dart&_sacat=0&_from=R40
They have no handles but if you want/win one, hollar at me, I think I have an extra set. Or you can make your own with 14/20 carriage bolt's.

JUNGLEJIM1

Hawn, I like the thinner version 1/32 for lakes and rivers use the shorter, fat version in rivers. I'll try and get a picture to show difference between the two heads, both from Do it molds.

jiggerjohn

I've been using a thinner 1/40 oz dart head throughout this short early trout season -the tin alloy head has the no 8 jighook's eye a bit forward for,in my opinion, better twitching control. It must be working as I've tallied 118 rainbows, browns, and brookies as of this morning (had to run over to the lake after church today to catch my 93 yr old mom a couple of tasty, fresh trout-she loves 'em!). I've noted that tying with a pinch of wool and short orange/gold satin fibers on each side,that the very light jig darts on its own,especially when allowed to drop down. If I lightly shake the rod tip, it really gets active ; I believe the wider tail section, caused by the water absorbing wool pushing satin fibers outward helps to create this movement, in conjunction with the dart shape itself. Also I've noted the bright SHINE of the tin head ( I NEVER paint these,nor WASTE shiny space with any sort of eye!) adds much to the visual appeal in water -especially since these thinner darts are a bit longer than standard to yield even more flash. Oh, Happy Easter to y'all!!

Kdog

Pepop said:
Kdog said:

Kdog's, I got mine here...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk....XShad+dart&_nkw=Shad+dart&_sacat=0&_from=R40
They have no handles but if you want/win one, hollar at me, I think I have an extra set. Or you can make your own with 14/20 carriage bolt's.

Been watching Ebay I saw those but I want smaller. As far as the molds, I have bought several from them and some have handles, some don't. I have a supply of 5/8" od 1/4" ID tubing have no idea where it came from but it makes a great handle. Cut the head off of a 1/4-20 x 1-1/2 screw epoxy the screw inside of handle add a piece of heater hose to opposite end. Screw in and off to the casting bench.

Back