Lost flathead

hookup

While smallie fishing recently, I got a heck of a hit, set the hook and it was fight on. Thought I had a world class smallie. Then thought it could be a channel cat but it wasn't fighting like one. Major pullage, drag screaming, and rod bent in half. After about 5 minutes of fighting saw color and realized I just hooked a flathead catfish. It was huge. Biggest one I've seen in the local rivers. Finally the fish bent the black nickel Gamakatsu 2/0 hook and swam off to freedom. Proved to me I must tie good knots

QCrudoV.jpg

UW9Azuu.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Musta been a monster, I don't recall bending out a 2/0 Gami 114 on a fight including some big flatties. Since that wasn't your first rodeo, I'm guessing the hook was stuck in hard bone or tissue at an odd angle putting unusual bend out stress on the hook.

Which is why I'm switching to heavier wire 2/0 604 this season. Modifying the hook eye slot(s) on your Do-it 1/8 isn't difficult, + enlarging the shank channel a bit.

Flatties have a distinctive fight - steady relentless heavy pull without spurts or shakes.

hookup

I'm staying with the 114's for smallies. If I was consistently chasing flat heads, I'd go with a heavier wire.

We were spot locked in current too

Arne

Always nice to have a suprise fish come visit you. Exciting time, at least you got to see him so you know what it was. Arne.

Back