Loose reel seat. St. Croix

Bkabina

I have a St. Croix triumph that is about 2 years old now. I noticed last season that the reel seat closest to the fore grip is loose. I paid $80. For the rod new and checked with St. Croix and it will cost $65. To send it to them for the repair. :huh:

Anyone here able to do the repair?

Bkabina

Kdog said:

I have the 7ft medium light fast action
Jig Man said:
'Kdog' pid='83726' dateline='1389557919' said:
i figured they would fix it for postage...

That's what I thought too.

Kdog

You say it is the front half that is loose, That indicates to me that something is broken as reel seats are a one piece assembly. Sounds like the whole seat should be replaced or do it the old fashioned way, 4-5 wraps of fiberglass tape for insurance.

I had a reel break at the stem once (most likely damaged previously) but it is quite a thrill to have rod in one hand and reel in the other. End of season perch fishing so extra rod and reel was handy. Would have made a long day otherwise.

Seriously, play with it and try to figure out if something is broken. Study some pictures of reel seats at mud hole or jans so you see how they actually fit together. Epoxey will probably solve the issue but it is nice to know what issue you are fixing.

Otherwise, you can always replace the reel seat yourslf. It is not all that gard to do, just takes patience.

The guys at mud hole are usually good about talking you thru repairs if you bought materials from them. Plus they have lots of videos.

hookup

Either go the route Led suggested, or remove the reel seat, epoxy rings of cork, turn & smooth, then tape your reels on TN style

Bkabina

Anyone know which epoxy would be best to use if I drill a small hole? Setup time isn't a problem since it will be probably two more months before I use this rod.

In the mean time, I sent a couple messages to jawbreaker for some custom rods but haven't heard back yet.

Kdog

I have had a lot of luck using devcon 2 ton epoxy slow cure (30 mins) not the 5min stuff. Biggest problem I see is you are gonna need to use a syringe to really get it in place and not sure this will be thin enough to squirt in. I use Envirotex lite for lure coating and can get it thru a syringe with a large bore needle, Have not tried to devcon. I do know a lot of folks say you can thin the devcon with isopropyl alcohol.

Pup

What you describe seems like a defect in workmanship to me. You mention that your rod is 2 years old. According to a description of a SC Triumph rod offered at Dick's Sporting Goods, it carries a 5 year warranty.

So, why aren't you sending it back to them under warranty?

Good luck with whatever you do. :icon14:

I recently repaired an Orvis Saltrodder Fly Rod with Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy (30 minute) by gluing a spigoted butt cap into its handle. The rod is second hand, so no repair was possible under warranty. The repair turned out relatively seamless for an epoxied butt cap and the rod still looks good. :cool:

Bkabina

There is a 5 year warrant but I contacted St. Croix twice and they said under the warranty it would cost $65. That's only a $15. Difference of what I paid for the rod new. I can get a custom rod built for $75.
To me the rod isn't worth what they want to fix it when I can buy a new or custom rod for not much more.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Back