Looks like there will be another one!!!

goodtimesfishing

Well looks like there will be another one.(jig making addict) For Christmas I got a lee down pour pot and jig mold for the mustad 32833 jig hooks salmon and steelhead jig. Love these jigs as I have ordered ones that had already been poured. Not new to the powder paint and tying but will be my first pouring of lead....plan on following all the safety precautions. So all I need now is for the hooks I ordered to come in the mail and I will be getting started. Thinking I might invest in a can of release agent. The lead I have to use is 3- 3# lead ball weights that a friend contributed for the cause, that should make a few 1/8 and 1/16 steelhead jigs! Really have enjoyed this website/forum since I joined, only I wish there where more members that target steelhead, but I have learned lots from this site already.:jig:

Fatman

x2 I always thought I'd only want the 1/8 and 1/4 ballhead with collar mold and now i've got a whole bunch of them. I was going to buy the spinner body mold but traded for several 100 of each size so didn't have to.

If you have any problems just ask and we'll help you out

smalljaw

Good deal GTF, and don't worry about not having many members that target steelhead because you know what you need and one of the great things about this site and this hobby is it has a lot of crossover as species is concerned. I'm in the same boat you are, 99.9% of my fishing is bass fishing but I tie a lot of smaller hair jigs for the heat of summer and the cold of winter and most of the ideas and inspiration I get for patterns comes from the guys who are tying bluegill and crappie jigs. You also have a couple of members that submit steelhead specific patterns every now and again.

goodtimesfishing

Hawnjigs said:
Those 3# lead balls might be too hard lead if your castings don't pour right. Good luck !

so are the 3# lead weights for fishing deep saltwater made from harder lead?? How can I test before filling my melter with this lead?

goodtimesfishing

Ron Don said:
Woohoo sounds like you're set.... For now! I bet you end up with more than one mold! :)

Ya, I actually have 2 molds, the other is also a ball head but with collar and standard hooks. The salmon steelhead one is no collar and the 2x strong hooks. I also want the smallest size bottom bouncer mold to use for spinner body. I like them better then the standard lure body mold. oh and there are so many more I want the list goes on.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Before China-SE Asia started exporting cheap lead castings to the USA, sinkers were often a local cottage industry mostly utilizing scrap source lead. Large sinkers can be poured with most any scrap, and the cheapest is often, or used to be, wheel weights, which is what I use to pour sinkers. Here's an earlier post with some tips for ruffly determining lead hardness or softness.
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=735

In other words, those 3#ers could be anything.

Back