Long Lining Success

ScottV

My fishing buddy and I pulled 1/8 oz pony heads using 6 poles this past Friday. We brought home 29 keeper crappie and threw back no telling how many small fish. The ironing board is still hanging in there.
ybazyqur.jpg

ScottV

Fatman said:
Nice mess of fish!!!!!!!!!! And shows that Pony's DO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Dang near work you to death. I bet we caught 100 hand sized crappie. They were fun on the light tackle though.

JUNGLEJIM1

Yes the pony heads do work. The blade baits can be killers if the water isn't too cold. For me,once the water get's in the low 40's or colder the blade bite stops. I've caught a bunch using blade baits the past few years. The two black crappie seem wider then the whites of comparable size. I noticed that here as well. Even the little one's are that way.

ScottV

Hawnjigs said:
Yah, that sounds like work to me. How do you scale that many fish?

Looks like a 13" weighs only half of that 14"?

The 29 on the table is all we kept and I filleted those with an electric knife. That bottom fish was a bit thicker than the others also. She would have been 2 lb if full of eggs.

ScottV

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
Yes the pony heads do work. The blade baits can be killers if the water isn't too cold. For me,once the water get's in the low 40's or colder the blade bite stops. I've caught a bunch using blade baits the past few years. The two black crappie seem wider then the whites of comparable size. I noticed that here as well. Even the little one's are that way.

Yea, the black crappie, specks, are more compact and are thicker than their white cousins. They seem to fight harder too. The specks stick to cover year round where the whites will migrate following schools of shad. When they are scattered following shad is when pulling crank baits or longlining jigs really pays off.

StumpHunter

Nice catch Scott. Longlining and pony head jigs are a winning combo on crappie and if your lake has white perch they will bite them too. Congrats on the catch.

ScottV

Thanks guys, it's a fun way to fish. With 6 poles fanned out off of the back of the boat and the I-Pilot set on 1 mph, all I have to do is reel in fish. Lol

StumpHunter

ScottV said:
Thanks guys, it's a fun way to fish. With 6 poles fanned out off of the back of the boat and the I-Pilot set on 1 mph, all I have to do is reel in fish. Lol

I know y'all had a blast. I run 8 rods out the back and at time all of them will have fish on.

Back