local trout goodness

jjsjigs

Banned
Decided to hit one of my tucked away spots up on a headwaters section of "local" creek near Northumberland. :D Flows were at least 12 to 16" above normal and very stained. It was fishable to a point. I focused on areas where a few spring seeps offered small patches of cleaner water to fish.

The weather was cool and cloudy with some scattered BWO's hatching in a size #14 through #20.

content__media_external_images_media_11.jpg

I fished a size #16 BWO emerger near these brush piles. I saw two smaller trout rising steadily sipping away. I had 2 "snatches" at my fly but missed them both.

The spring seep is in the left of the pic. I drifted a large black stonefly on the undercut bank. After the first cast a rat scrambled out of the fallen brush on the top of the bank and ran away. After waiting 5 minutes, I recasted a few times and got down to ticking the bottom. As I started to lift the stonefly up and away from the small riffle at the right of the pic a 12" brown darted out and took the stonefly. I had him almost to me and he jumped and popped the hook out.

content__media_external_images_media_12.jpg

Swallows started to come out and feast on the few mayflies hatching. I saw this bright bird along the bank. I didn't know what it was... a chickadee?

content__media_external_images_media_13.jpg

Radtexan

Nice pics JJ...Looks like some fishy water ,even with the recent high water.

Do you see many browns there ?Whats your main species ?

jjsjigs

Banned
That part of the creek I fish is considered a wild brown fishery. I have found a small splattering of wayward 'bows and the occasional 5" wild/native brook trout. However, much to my chagrin the MAIN species seem to be chubs and suckers when one drops down from the headwaters where the creek get shallower and warmer. But when I'm looking for an "action" day, I have MUCH LOVE for chubs... especially if they want to take dry flies on the top water.

Back