Little big of everything ...

hookup

Came back from a trip to the shore and got to fish a bit of salt, bit of brackish and a bit of fresh water.  Species we were targeting were bowfin and snakes head, never caught either, well until this weekend.  Started out in fresh going after bowfin, snakes head, and green carp, but fishing was slow on Saturday morning, rained almost all day but things picked up when we headed out into the salt (or brackish?).  Ran into schools of striper and they were a blast.  Also got some speckled trout - another new bonus species.  And if you wanted to put down the bit rods and grab the UL, white perch until you were tired of catching them.  Sunday was cloudy, no rain, and our luck changed.  Almost instantly got a bowfin on a War Eagle spinner bait.  Picked up large mouth on frogs - never fished a frog, but blow up in grass are awesome.  

Guide was great - excellent breakfasts before we hit the water, sandwiches at lunch, and a seafood boil at night.  Yum.  Glad I have no cholesterol checks this week ...

IMGP1131_zpsk1wpyljj.jpg

IMGP1130_zpsb6jbmxrg.jpg

IMGP1129_zpstuucojnm.jpg

IMGP1128_zpsemwivowx.jpg

IMGP1127_zpsgnuhkspf.jpg

IMGP1126_zpswvbwueqz.jpg

IMGP1125%20copy_zpsc2zixeus.jpg

hookup

Bowfin are vicious fighters. They chew up a spinnerbait before they decide to bite it. The spinnerbaits are trashed once the fish is unhooked.

We did not keep fish. I asked if bowfin are edible and was told they are mush. I was told that Asians use them in making fish balls by boiling then scooping out the flesh with a spoon.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The flesh is probably scraped off the bones raw leaving the skeleton intact. Bonefish and ladyfish (saltwater) also have mushy flesh that can be spoon scraped. The Hawaiian ones are delicious raw or fried as patties.

Better luck next time with snakeheads. Also highly esteemed by Asians.

hookup

Thx Hawn. Have eaten snakeheads. Very tasty fish - kinda like a gourmet catfish

Back