Lipstick jigs?

Uncle Grump

I get a weekly fishing update from the DNR of a state neighboring the one I live in.

The following sentence was in this weeks update:

Fish were being harvested using small lipstick jigs tipped with night crawler.

Don't know that I've seen that term before. I tried Google, all I get is a bunch of hits for commercial (Northland mainly) jigs, none which look anything I've not seen before.

Thanks

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm...... just by the shape alone, could they be talking about using a shad dart head? Has a similar profile...........

Lipstick_048x048_32.png

Uncle Grump

Shad Darts - now there's a thought....

Shad dart profile comes in a small size, compared to much of Northlands stuff, a lot of which is targeted at game fish.

Jay Wirth

I have a jig mold that the old timers called a bullet head which I think is the lipstick jig. It is a cylinder with straight sides and a squared butt and the nose is rounded. I have sizes 1/8 and up. Ill get some photos when Im not at work

Hawnjigs

KISS
I recently had a customer who really likes worm dunking with shad darts, based on an exceptional multi species session when he first tried it.

The catch he described was indeed pretty awesome.

Sometimes, bait is the best, if not only option. Last night a couple dunking crawdads was cleaning up the wipers, which wouldn't touch Boolies or Boogers. Tied up plan B for trial tonite, downsize & no blades.

Pup

Hawnjigs said:
I recently had a customer who really likes worm dunking with shad darts, based on an exceptional multi species session when he first tried it.

The catch he described was indeed pretty awesome.

Sometimes, bait is the best, if not only option. Last night a couple dunking crawdads was cleaning up the wipers, which wouldn't touch Boolies or Boogers. Tied up plan B for trial tonite, downsize & no blades.

Want to catch wipers? Try dunking some chicken livers. It works well as bait in Indiana Tailwaters. If you tire of fishing lures, you'll be pleasantly surprised I think.

Stripers like them too.

Hawnjigs

KISS
This is a crawler town, & CO visitors bring dads & mussels. I'd rather not give up on jigs just yet, but will pass on the liver suggestion to my fishing bro who will use whatever it takes. With abundant cats in the Mac, action should be steady on liver between wipers.

rich mc

I remember lipstick jigs as being round head with a short wide gap hook rich mc

JUNGLEJIM1

I think the lipstick jigs were named for the bright colors that were used to make them. I think they were simply ballheads with bright fluorescent color paint and a plastic skirt to match.

Fatman

Uncle Grump

I appreciate all the replies. As I indicated, I had Googled lipstick jigs, and got many hits - mostly Northland, as previously indicated - however, notice the size of a lot of them - those (to me) don't seem "small" - or at least what seems to me as a "small panfish jig".

My gray matter calls a 1/8oz jig large.

I am going to email them editor of that fishing newsletter - see if that will turn up a pic, etc.

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you have a lot of choices..... best bet is probably going to be the source as you mentioned. This thread has me wondering how many different names specific jigs and lures might have regionally. Could make things confusing.

Jay Wirth said:
Called Bullets or Neil Jig in my neck of the woods - maybe your lipstick jig?? Double checking my molds I have size 1/4 1/2 5/8

attachment.php

Jay Wirth - I believe i have seen something very close to those sold up here around Lake Erie for the Spring walleye reef fishing. Can't recall the name they used though. I have to say that the mold looks like it would be a major pain to trim off the sprue there. Great looking finished jigs.

Jay Wirth

The sprue isn't bad its a very thin connection and can be twisted off by hand. This is a decent jig to fish but I don't get a lot of requests for it. Im not sure of the mold either - its similar to the custom ones we have had made in the past but I think it is from a different machinist.

JSC

That looks a lot like a Ament Mold .. Handles were not threaded that I know of but the rest of the mold looks like Paul's work. I have a mold from Ament that is all most identical (it was a custom made for my model)

Uncle Grump

I got a reply back from newsletter author. The lady sent pics....

The pics were of Northland's Bro's Bloodworm jigs....sized w/ #8 and 10 hooks, so I am guessing 1/32 oz heads w/ a round head.

So there we have it....

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
HA! Never would have guessed that was the jig in question for a thousand years. Wonder how it got the moniker of a Lipstick Jig?

goodtimesfishing

Looks like it is lipstick as in hook sticking in the lip, rather then lipstick as in make up. Here is the description:
The BRO’S BLOODWORM™ is perch and panfish’s favorite forage! The bug head is molded with a fine wire Lip-Stick® Needle-Point hook, and features a “soft & chewy” segmented worm body with lifelike cilia and aquatic hair that undulates and swims like a live bloodworm. Panfish beware – there is going to be a blood bath!

Jay Wirth

It is amusing (to me) how jigs, lures, ect... have names that evolve based on time and geography. Even in this thread for lipstick jig one of the pictures I have always know as a hot lips jig (the one with the open mouth).

Back