Line Color?

ragged edge

On a past recent trip I was out fishing the brother and nephews three to one in crappie. So the brother made the comment your in the front of the boat. At that point I told him to get in the front and run the trolling motor so we switched positions and I continued my quest for limit.

The brother later on made the comment I was using yellow line and he was using clear and that was the difference. Told him he was jealous and we traded poles. At that point the quest for crappie went to his favor. NOTE: The yellow line is yellow on the spool but appears green on the rod and disappears in the water.

So we did a test. Both using 12' Sam Heaton rods, fishing 7' deep, jig size, weight and color combination the same, same technique, only differece was the Wally Marshall line color. He outfished me about the same ratio.

So the question I ask does the line color have any bearing or was this just a fluke incident? In my opinion it does. So what is your take of this test?

Bucko

line color does have impact. for my bass tounaments I have different rods.with different line color and sizes. im a huge fan of floroucarbon line. as far as fish being attracted to a line I dont think so. its a matter of detection. floroucarbon for clear water here is key. braid fir dirty water and heavy weeds. I dont use yellow line except with icefishing sometimes, but that is only to detect bites.

waynesburgjay

I don't think line color makes too much difference unless the water is ultra clear or the fish are real spooky I could see where fluorocarbon would really come in handy at times. Not a big fan of the colored hooks either, I'll take bronze or black platinum over red any day, I just don't do good on red hooks.
Maybe next time that happens, you could just change jigs and see what the result is, maybe your line had something to do with how fast , or slow your jig was moving around.

Lost Pole

Hi vis has doubled my fish catch. I won't fish without it unless I have to.
BUT I fish sacalait. There's tons of times you won't know you're bit without it, vertically or on a pitch. A slight diff in line position can make or break a trip with gummy mouths.
With that said, I fish muddy and stained waters 90% of the time on rivers, but have yet to have a problem in clearER isolated gravel pits and ponds… when I can get in em. I try not overestimate fish brains.
But then again, I don't catch much so take all that with a grain of salt.

My pops won't touch it without a flouro leader.

ragged edge

Hawn the water color was clear/green with the lake starting to turn over with green balls of algae. We were fishing for rainbows and tigers. Water clarity about 18".

WB we were fishing the exact pole, jig, hook, depth. there was no difference other than the color of line.

LB, I have to agree with ya. Since I switched 4 years ago the sacalait catch has increased. when I fish for crappie the lake is murky. Visibilty less than a foot.

Bucko

one thing you have to remember is while there is algae on the top and you can see only eighteen inches down, it may clear up some when you get 5 feet down out of the algae bloom. wind has an effect o. water clarity as does the position of the sun and what not. you can break it down as far as you want to really. to the everyday angler it isnt worth getting scientific just to have a good time. only time I get critical is when I'm fishing tournaments and every little detail comes into play and could make the difference of getting paid or going home with nothing. flourocarbon leaders are an excellent way to go.

ragged edge

Bucko. I never thought about the water clarity issue down deeper....I fish crappie tournaments whenever I can amd when the sun is high the fishing slows down as shade diminishes. I always fish the shady side of any obstacle.........

jiggerjohn

Some research I've read indicates that bass, and probably most fish, can easily SEE clear 2# mono(flouro is no differant, just expensive!), so obviously trying to stifle its detection is rather futile. Years ago, famous structure man, Buck Perry, told me that he WANTED fish to see his line -it created curiosity ,then, shortly his lure would appear and BANG it was grabbed! Or,another Buckism - "If fish knew what line was, they'd be smart enough to tell you about it!"

Hawnjigs

KISS
Well, JJ2, that explains how flyguys can stand in the middle of a clear skinny stream, flail away then drift right over em bright chartreuse rope and still get bit by trout.

StumpHunter

Hawnjigs said:
Well, JJ2, that explains how flyguys can stand in the middle of a clear skinny stream, flail away then drift right over em bright chartreuse rope and still get bit by trout.

So true Hawns.
All my rods have Hi vis #6 for crappie and #10 for my bass rod but still learning. Trolling rods have braid line. All my fly rods have a floating color line but the leaders and tippets are clear.
For crappie fishing I use a red hook 90% on jigs and like a gold hook if minnow fishing. So I believe colors makes a difference at times but I believe what the "fisherman believes in" works the best.

PanfishHunter

i really have no idea if it makes a difference, but hey, im 15. i always fish at least 10 pound test, more if im fishing catfish or stripers. i used the 10 pound test on my rods on my most recent trip, and had no problem catching carp, gill, and bass in less than 2 foot of water. clear to murky.

10 lb. Trilene steel blue. i aint got a clue on fly fishing leader or tippet. heck, 6 pound mono does the trick! I recently added a 6 lb. trilene XL smooth cast moss/ lo vis green on my rods.

ragged edge

PH I use 4lb. Seems to me like the heavier line kills the action of the jig. JMO. I use a 12' pole and anything over 4lb the rod will flex alot taking tension off the line.

PanfishHunter

i dont have an extra long rod. i think i have a 4'6" and a 5'6" i tie jigs on with a loop knot. i havent even tried any of my jigs yet :(

papaperch

My father and my grandfather both used 30 lb test and up . Remember that big old black line back in the 1950's monafilament was yet to be widely accepted.
I remember them catching tons of fish. Watching fish thru the ice in gin clear water I watch them eating stuff I can't even see. So they must be able to see any line regardless of color or size. Now how a lure or a jig or live bait acts with lighter line may have a direct effect on attraction of the bait to the fish.

Back