lindy ruby redtail

mjs

The ruby redtail was a great colour on a lake I fish. It was on the discontinued lindy max gap jigs. I bought glow red to try to match it, but it isn`t exactly right. The paint on those jigs was incredibly tough as well. Any ideas on what it was exactly?

Jig Man

Not sure but i sure like ruby slipper a bunch... welcome to JigCraft, a great place to drop anchor.

hookup

I'd have thought something more along the lines of Dorthy from Wizard of Oz

Ruby%20Slippers_full.jpg

mjs

-Is this the color you are trying to get to?

That's it. Somebody mentioned the ruby slipper, I like it too, but it's completely different. The ruby redtail was a reddish pink glow, and the eyes seemed to stay white, not glow green like the others in the series. I don't have any left but that was my impression. The paint was like a tough skin. Extremely durable. It was the 1/8 one that was magic on walleyes. Maybe it was the smidgen of glow and the bigger ones were too bright? Who knows.

Radtexan

35f31d1d00afbf0186297e3a882581f3.jpg

This was the best pic I could find. Is that what your trying to create ?? Doesn't look too tough to match ??

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, should not be hard to reproduce something close. Could base coat it in Super Glow White and then tap coat the top with Candy Pink. Another option would be to base coat it in plain white or pearl and tap on Glow Hot Pink on the top side. OOOORRRRR, go for the super glow and base coat it in glow and then tap the glow pink on top. Not sure which would get the desired effect......... i'm thinking option #3 with the super glow.

Pink is not a color i use often for walleye. Perhaps i should.

mjs

Thanks for the replies. I have tied flies for a long time, but plastic, lead, and painting are new to me. I'll keep experimenting. Candy over glow I had never even thought of. It doesn't look tough to match, but I guess I was hoping someone might know the paint source or type. I've experimented a bit, but powder choices haven't captured whatever this one had. It isn't so much a look like as a perform like.

I've read powder isn't the best when it comes to glows? Vinyl maybe better?

LedHed

Sponsor
If you are making small jigs - try mixing glow powder with clear finger nail polish. Vinyl vapor sux.
I use pro-tec pink glow powder paint with some pretty good results. Don't really notice a difference between the mixed and powder paint...

Back